This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Jam sandwiches?

(41 Posts)
The2Ateam Fri 27-May-16 17:09:36

Are jam sandwiches an acceptable lunch for a childminder to feed by son? I think not, so will raise it with her, but wasn't sure if I was over reacting!

HSMMaCM Fri 27-May-16 17:10:26

Every day? Or just once, or occasionally ? Definitely not every day.

Chillyegg Fri 27-May-16 17:11:01

You've asked a question and answered your self.
I think it's fine as long as accompanied by fruit and other healthy snacks.

HaPPy8 Fri 27-May-16 17:11:09

Occasionally is fine I would say.

Pinkheart5915 Fri 27-May-16 17:11:33

As a once in a while thing, I wouldn't mind but if your talking about her doing it every day or every week I wouldn't be impressed.

Chillyegg Fri 27-May-16 17:11:37

Alison I agree not ok every day.A one of is fine.

insancerre Fri 27-May-16 17:12:33

No, not acceptable at all
Just ask her how she promotes healthy eating
You can ask her not to give him jam sandwiches and she should respect your wishes

treaclesoda Fri 27-May-16 17:12:53

Loads of people will say it's shocking but I think it depends on what else he's eating. If that's the only thing she feeds him then yes, not great. But if it's Eg fruit, cheese and a small jam sandwich then I couldn't get worked up about it. I've no idea what my son eats at the childminders house TBH.

twirlypoo Fri 27-May-16 17:13:01

Honestly? Whatever she can convince my son to eat would be welcomed by me! If it was served with loads of other healthy stuff as apposed to a packet of crisps and a chocolate biscuit I see no problem with it!

MinnowAndTheBear Fri 27-May-16 17:14:13

My son goes to nursery and I would not be impressed if jam sandwiches were on the menu.

IoraRua Fri 27-May-16 17:16:43

Meh. As a once in a while thing, fine. Every day, yes I'd have problems.

BackforGood Fri 27-May-16 17:16:57

No. That's not an acceptable lunch (although every now and then I could eat a jam sandwich grin).
If there were some reason you've not mentioned (like restricted diet), or some kind of 'one off' for a reason, then it's no big deal, but if that's what she thinks is a normal, acceptable lunch, then no.

CrazyDuchess Fri 27-May-16 17:17:09

Every day - no but I am with twirly, my daughter was super fussy and I'd rather she ate anything then not at all

RiverTam Fri 27-May-16 17:18:06

Not daily, as an occasional testa when you really need them to just eat something, or as a snack, but not as a regular lunch.

SolomanDaisy Fri 27-May-16 17:18:27

High fruit jam on wholemeal bread as part of a meal is fine. Why wouldn't it be?

VulcanWoman Fri 27-May-16 17:30:51

Yeah, that sounds lazy, could have at least done a cheese one.

The2Ateam Fri 27-May-16 17:32:39

It's because he has allergies and I work hard to make he gets all the nutrients he's missing because. He's only there twice a week, but jam sandwiches defo seem to be lunch at least once a week from what I can tell.

CrazyDuchess Fri 27-May-16 17:36:22

Well I think if once a week you are overreacting but if you don't want it tell your childminder?? No big deal

CrazyDuchess Fri 27-May-16 17:37:23

And if he has allergies and a restricted diet that would have been useful in the OP

irregularegular Fri 27-May-16 17:41:27

I see a jam sandwich as a fine pudding/snack, but not a main part of lunch. Even if with fruit etc there's no protein there and it's just encouraging over reliance on sugary food.

Donatellalymanmoss Fri 27-May-16 17:44:33

Are you sure the childminder is comfortable feeding around his allergies? Maybe she is a bit daunted by it and erring on the side of caution?

CheeseAndSprinkleys Fri 27-May-16 17:44:49

It could be that she does ham on mo day, egg on tuesday, tuna on Wednesday....jam on Friday and your dc just happens to land on one of the jam days.

Flisspaps Fri 27-May-16 17:47:35

My amazing childminder fed my kids jam sandwiches. Occasionally they had Nutella sandwiches. She even did them chips sometimes.

She was bloody brilliant, the only person ever who got my DS to eat vegetables.

A jam sandwich once or twice a week really wouldn't be a problem for me.

insancerre Fri 27-May-16 17:50:53

So what are the other children having when he is having a jam sandwich?

HSMMaCM Fri 27-May-16 17:53:58

Maybe give her some ideas. Perhaps she's nervous about catering around his allergies? Maybe another reason? Talk to her about helping provide him with a balanced diet, rather than going in all guns blazing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now