Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How to register as self employed online

(3 Posts)
blublutoo Sat 21-May-16 18:09:32

Hi, can someone tell me or send me a link please. I'm a nanny who is EMPLOYED but need to register self employed for my ad hoc work. I've heard it's relatively easy online..

Flanderspigeonmurderer Sat 21-May-16 18:15:01

HMRC website, I think you will need your national insurance number but it's relatively easy

nannynick Sat 21-May-16 19:06:07

Read that page then go on to the next page and click the Register as a new business link which will take you to the registration pages. Read through each step, selecting "I want to tell HMRC that I am in business and need to register for a new tax or tell HMRC that the company is now active". Keep on reading the pages and you will get to a Government Gateway login point.
You are on your own from there but it should be fairly easy to follow through each step.
I would use your own name as he business name. I would provide a brief description of your service - ad hoc childcare. I would use Cash Basis accounting (this is the easy method where you record payments in when you get paid and payments out when you make payments).

I would suggest you read a basic book about accounting if you do not know about doing small business accounts. Small Business Accounting: The jargon-free guide to accounts, budgets and forecasts (Teach Yourself) Paperback – by Andy Lymer is useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now