Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny Disciplinary Action

(16 Posts)
venys Fri 20-May-16 15:53:59

Hi there, I am on my second part time temporary nanny/mothers help in recent months while I need extra help as I have a newborn and 2 other young children (one disabled) and no other help.I am a SAHM. The first left last second during school holidays as she did not agree with the hours (although she had been told of the situation in a trial weeks before the birth of my third child). The replacement nanny just works 2 days a week and a minimum of 5 hours per day since last school holidays.it is a flexible hour arrangement and she can work extra hours if she wishes. The problem is for whatever reason , she fails to turn up 50% of the time on agreed hours and only notifies me last minute. And when she does turn up she is always late. I have called her up twice about her tardiness including twice in the same day earlier this week. One was 45 minutes and she was late returning from her outing 5 minutes away by 30 minutes when I needed the most help. Today is the 3rd Friday she is off sick although she is not sick for her other family on Thursday. She offered a friend for replacement which was not suitable. I warned her that I am going to issue her a second warning . In the contract I can let her go with 2 weeks notice for whatever reason as it is a short term contract. Should I just do that or go through the disciplinary procedure. She is stressing me out as I am unable to plan anything and I can't tell my disabled son she is coming as gets extremely disappointed. She is a great nanny otherwise but it makes me so sad that people continually let me down time and time again when I am actually a good employer I think. I don't think people realise how up against it I am. (THis includes tradespeople as well and as such the house is half finished). I am so upset at the moment that I just want to walk away from the arrangement as she just can't be trusted. I have also spent a fair bit on agency fees, insurance etc for her as well and am getting very little in return. WWYD?

Cindy34 Fri 20-May-16 16:26:55

Written warning for lateness. That starts the disciplinary process in your contract.

Are they still in probation period?

Are they likely to improve on timekeeping?

With it being variable hours, is that causing a problem in terms of when she starts and finishes work?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 20-May-16 16:29:48

I'd just get rid by giving her notice assuming she has less than 2 years service.

That said if you're having difficulty with lots of the people doing work for you it might be worth considering if you could adapt or change your approach.

venys Fri 20-May-16 16:45:53

Yeah I wonder if it's me..I have worked in a number of professions over the years from working I'm the corner store at 13, cleaner to highly paid contractor and I have never come across people so unwilling to work. I must really suck although I am not sure why. I just don't need continual reminding that I am a bit of a loser. I did offer her set hours if that would help her get organised but she declined. She more or less sees this job as extra money if she wants it and I have to suck it up if she doesn't . When shes here she is moaning about needing extra hours and looking for other ad hoc jobs. She is always short of money and asking for cash :/ She seems to be looking a gift horse in the mouth

GreenRug Fri 20-May-16 16:49:38

Op she clearly doesn't want the job in my opinion. She is stressing you out and you don't know where you stand on a day to day basis. I would let her go now, it's not like she is such a great help that you'll really miss her not being there!

Cindy34 Fri 20-May-16 16:49:45

She is not right for the job. She sees it as a bit of extra money, not a real job. You need someone committed to doing the job and doing what you need them to do. You don't need hassle, they are there to make your life easier not harder.

venys Fri 20-May-16 17:01:36

I think so. OH doesn't but every time I listen to him I end up in strife. Problem is the experience has put me off hiring a nanny full stop. And I don't have other options because of DS1s disability - it's complicated and I am destined to never get a break. I think I will just get a student for the summer holidays like I normally do and call it a day. It's a can of worms I tell you.

Cindy34 Fri 20-May-16 17:12:20

If you find the right person a part-time nanny can work very well. Having fixed hours may help as then someone can fit it around another job and you plus they know when they are working for you. Really flexible childcare I don't think works that well unless both sides are happy for things to change at very short notice.

A student for the summer may well work, though will mean finding someone else come September.

venys Fri 20-May-16 18:28:27

No I won't be hiring anyone in September - baby should be big enough by then and I will have school and nursery for the others - provided I get council transport but that's another story. I might just rely on emergency Childcare if I need to make appointments. Very expensive and a pain but better for my sanity.

harshbuttrue1980 Sun 22-May-16 09:55:52

If you're having problems with lots of people, then you need to look at why. Are you paying enough? Are you kind and approachable, or do you order them around? Are you hovering over the nanny, or do you allow them autonomy? Do you back the nanny up when they discipline the kids? Do you share out the good jobs and the mucky ones (e.g. not always doing the cupcake making while leaving the nanny to do the nappy changing)? Shared charge can be difficult for nannies, and you need a really good relationship between nanny and employer. I don't know you at all, so i'm not accusing you of doing any of these things btw, just suggesting some things to consider that can be problems between nannies and employers.

venys Mon 23-May-16 00:15:06

The nanny had a pretty easy life.really. I am there as a SAHM and its only a few hours a couple of days a week. They just get asked to take my other child/ren out. And a couple of odd jobs around the house - and it really only amounts to two in a shift - eg hanging out washing, cooking meal, tidying toys etc. I pay market rates and holiday pay. I am pretty reasonable as I have done so many other jobs in my life so I treat others as I would like to be treated. I think I come across as too relaxed so people end up taking the mick. The nanny has agreed to continue her contract, but she knows she will be dismissed if she lapses.

venys Mon 23-May-16 00:18:58

The nanny hardly ever does Mucky jobs either - as I don't expect.her to deal with poo unless in an emergency.

IceMaiden73 Mon 23-May-16 07:32:33

I think you need to give her her notice, she's not going to change her ways, so it's time to move on

Then have a think about what to do next. I don't think you should tar all nannies with the same brush, there will be one out there who will fit your needs

Dozer Mon 23-May-16 07:36:42

I would give her notice and look again.

So you've had two bad experiences - that could just be bad luck!

FrakIsBack Mon 23-May-16 21:08:55

If you got her through an agency then talk to the agency about her. At the least they should tell her to pull her socks up, at best they'll agree it's not working out and replace her if you're still within the guarantee period.

Also why are you spending on her insurance? Unless you mean your employer liability. You shouldn't be paying her professional indemnity insurance.

venys Wed 25-May-16 15:28:00

I have agreed to keep her on but she is on final warning. She is actually a good nanny - the kids love her - she is just rubbish at time keeping. I did cc the agency in the correspondence though. I have paid car insurance for her as an additional driver . Let's hope it works out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now