Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Welcoming our new nanny

(6 Posts)
OldGuard Fri 20-May-16 07:36:23

We have a new nanny starting Monday

I was after unique ideas to help her feel welcome

We've had nannies before (first one for 4 years, next one 3 years, and the one just finished for three years) - we provide good wage, sick leave, 6 weeks paid vacations, pay taxes, health benefits etcetc - so I think we're covered both legally and morally .... I was thinking more " the little things " - what special little things would/do make a difference ?

Any ideas ?

Rugbycomet Fri 20-May-16 11:37:06

It seems to me that whatever you are doing is certainly a great job. Your nannies have all stayed with you a good length of time and that speaks volumes. Sorry, nothing to add but just wanted to say that. I am not being patronising and sorry if it comes across like that. smile

Cindy34 Fri 20-May-16 11:46:26

Are they live-in? If so perhaps a welcoming basket of useful cosmetics, some local sweet food item, some flowers to brighten up their room. At this stage you don't really know that much about what your nanny likes so it is hard to get things specifically for them.

Gusthetheatrecat Fri 20-May-16 19:36:41

I always get my girls to colour in a big 'welcome <name>!' sign for our window when we get a new au pair. They seem really pleased and touched (though admittedly are in a different position, arriving in an unfamiliar country as a young person with only passable language skills, so I think the level of effort required is different!)

OldGuard Sun 22-May-16 12:08:49

Rugby thanks :-) that's a sweet thing to say - I try to be really honest in the interview and give them references they can call too to find out about us

Cindy it's live out - but I could still get a posy of flowers for her to take home on first day maybe ?

Gus - a banner is an awesome idea - thanks !

littleladyluna Sun 22-May-16 12:24:53

A banner and a bunch of flowers for my first day at a new job - I'd think I'd hit the employer jackpot!

It is incredible the number of nannies I speak to who are so fed up and demoralised because their employers never say thank you - so that's a free but hugely meaningful gesture. Your nannies stay a long time though so you're obviously doing something right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now