This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Working out Holiday entitlement for term-time nanny

(12 Posts)
SpecialJK Wed 18-May-16 21:30:56

Hi all,
I've had a nanny previously who has worked throughout the year whilst my youngest wasn't at school and I totally knew how to figure out the holiday entitlement and actually provided more than the statutory minimum

However, we are hopefully moving to a term-time arrangement with a new nanny come september when DS goes to school. Obviously we will be using the holiday entitlement that I get from my employer to take holidays during the school holidays.

How do I work out the holiday entitlement for someone who will work 23.5 hours per week for 39 weeks, but then also if that is eg 100 hours, how can I possibly cover the holidays when she's off if I've used all my holiday entitlement during the school holidays?

I'm usually pretty good at this stuff but I can't get my head around what the options and connotations are.

ClaudiaWankleman Wed 18-May-16 21:32:31

There is a calculator on the .gov website that can help you work out how much holiday is due

SpecialJK Wed 18-May-16 21:57:48

Thanks, I've used that. It tells me that it's 112 hours. However, I still don't understand how I can then cover the equivalent of over 4 weeks holiday during term time on top of the 5 weeks holiday entitlement I'll need to take during the school holidays. I don't get 9 weeks holiday from my employer and even if I did take try to take it unpaid I wouldn't be allowed to

vvviola Wed 18-May-16 22:00:20

Would it not make more sense to keep the nanny on for more than term time, and then you use your holidays to cover her holidays? I kind of thought the point of having a nanny was that they could cover holiday time too?

HunterHearstHelmsley Wed 18-May-16 22:02:32

Have you checked with your employer that you can take all the holidays also? We have to share it out within the team and there's no way I could approve one person having all the school holidays.

OddBoots Wed 18-May-16 22:05:02

I only work term time, I don't get any leave during the term, my holiday is within the school holiday so I get around 4 weeks of 'extra' pay as that is the entitlement.

You seem to be calculating it as time off but the time off is already sorted as that is the holiday time - it's the amount of pay you need to give over that time you need to work out.

nbee84 Wed 18-May-16 22:06:33

You can stipulate that holidays cannot be taken during term time (apart from exceptional circumstances - weddings or an important event etc) So they then get all school holidays off a proportion of which will be paid. I think the easiest way to do this is to divide the holiday hours into 12 and each month she is paid her wage + her holiday.

drspouse Wed 18-May-16 22:08:21

You probably don't have enough holiday entitlement yourself to take all the school holidays but maybe with your DP you do?
You can also take 4 weeks per year unpaid parental leave each which may be more cost effective than weeks more of full time nanny.

SpecialJK Wed 18-May-16 22:11:32

Thanks all. I manage a team, and get around 5 weeks holiday a year, all of it will be taken during school holidays. Obviously there are 13 weeks of school holidays a year so will need to cover the remainder with holiday clubs etc.

The other managers all have grown up children, so between a team of 5 experienced managers there's enough cover not to have an issue with me taking school holidays. If I don't take all my holiday during the school holidays then I'll be sitting around the house on my own (as child is at school!) which seems a bit pointless.

The only other way to do it I suppose is to add on extra weeks to the contract and then state that holidays must be used outside of term time? I'm wondering whether this will work however as she is a NWOC and they aren't yet school age.

Sorry if I'm overcomplicating this. I probably am

SpecialJK Wed 18-May-16 22:14:05

Cross posted! Thanks Oddboots, I think that's the way to do it, pay the equivalent of 44 weeks (5 weeks extra) then calculate that in total annual salary then / 12.

IceMaiden73 Thu 19-May-16 08:10:26

Why not just get a full time Nanny and then use your annual leave to cover her holiday?

asg198 Thu 19-May-16 09:54:16

Yes you can do that so she works 42 weeks a year so the term time and then four weeks of school hols too. That way if she does want holiday in term time she will need to work a week of the hols instead. You can say all holiday must be taken in the holidays but to be honest most nannies esp with their own non school age children would like at least one week a year when they can go away in term time. I know your children will be at school during that time but you could use it for 'you' time or getting all those jobs done you can't when the children are around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now