Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Finding Employer's Liability Insurance

(9 Posts)
OrangeSunset Fri 13-May-16 20:09:32

We've a nanny starting soon, and my understanding is that we need to have Employer's Liability should a situation arise whilst she's working for us that would trigger an insurance claim.

Several EL providers I've contacted will only sell my this alongside Public Liability, which I don't need. In addition, they don't provide cover for people working in your home. They suggest this would be covered by our Homes and Contents Cover.

Our Homes and Contents provider will cover the nanny if something happens to her on our premises - a roof tile injures her, or belongings are stolen in a burglary at our house. They won't cover anything outside the house which makes sense, but of course leaves us open.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a provider who can help? So far have drawn a blank.

Many thanks

TheClacksAreDown Fri 13-May-16 20:59:18

Nannytax promote them. Not used myself but worth a look.

Cindy34 Fri 13-May-16 21:34:38

Not sure any policy would cover an event that happens outside of your home, as such an event is out of your control so you are not liable.

What sort of thing would you be liable for? Would be interested to know if you manage to get cover for it.

OrangeSunset Fri 13-May-16 21:57:49

Thanks for the link, will take a look.

Is it not mandatory to have this insurance then?

I suppose I'm thinking of something happened in the course of her duties, but outside our house, that led to a claim.

Karoleann Sat 14-May-16 08:57:52

if something happened to her outside your home you'd be unlikely to be liable for it. the one that comes with your home insurance is fine.

nannynick Sat 14-May-16 09:48:42

Mandatory to have insurance to cover an employee in your home and presumably the garden. Not outside of that though as you have no control.

If they are walking down the street and a shop sign fell on them (It happens), then you as their employer can't be liable for that shop sign falling on them. The shop, the sign fitters, the sign manufacturer are all possibly liable depending on what caused it to fall.

OrangeSunset Sat 14-May-16 09:59:39

Thanks all. So my homes and contents is sufficient, phew!

nannynick Sat 14-May-16 10:13:35

I have heard of additional employers liability insurance that covers:
- tribunal (cost of legal expenses and any compensation awarded up to £100,000)
- employee personal accident, so not something you are legally liable for but morally may feel you should contribute towards.
- theft by an employee.

There will be many exclusions and policy limits, so it is vital to read the policy document. If something is covered by other insurance, then that insurance would be first to be used and any additional policy would only activate if that first policy declined to cover the loss. Personal accident cover may have a limit of £750 for broken leg. £300 limit for emergency dental work due to an incident occurring at your home to your employee resulting in emergency oral work being necessary.

As with all insurance that is in addition to the minimum required by law, consider how likely you would be to make a valid claim. Consider the hassle involved and if you would be better just putting some money aside in a savings account - thus self insuring.

nannynick Sat 14-May-16 10:16:59

Yes, home contents policy with inclusion of employers liability cover is sufficient to meet your legal obligation. If that policy would cover every event possible is another matter - read the policy document and check for exclusions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now