This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

food and lunch for live out nanny

(7 Posts)
marella9 Thu 12-May-16 12:06:59

We have a lovely new nanny who works for us 10 hours each day for 4 days a week

What is the norm for providing food and lunch for nanny? We have already stocked the usual drinks she likes and we have told her she is welcome to eat anything in our (very well-stocked) fridge. When she cooks for our DS, she often makes extra to have herself for lunch/early dinner. This is all absolutely fine with us.

What should we do when they go on outings to museum, picnics etc? We often pack a lunch for DS as we like him to eat really healthy food. Should we pay for nanny to buy herself lunch at museum or wherever? It normally comes to about 8 or 9 pounds each time (drink and sandwich and snack). On an occasional basis, this is fine, but I am wondering what to do during half term, summer holidays etc when they will be out most days.

Any advice gratefully received. We really like her so want to be generous, but want to understand what the norm is.

GreenTomatoJam Thu 12-May-16 12:10:37

When my nanny took the kids out, she packed lunch for her and the kids - perhaps they had a coffee/cake (her the coffee!) in the teashop too, and I covered that.

RaeSkywalker Thu 12-May-16 12:16:35

I'd ask yo to make herself a packed lunch from what you have in the kitchen.

Akire Thu 12-May-16 12:21:38

Yes agree packed lunch then money for extra drinks or treats.

blublutoo Thu 12-May-16 13:54:30

I pack lunch for the kids and for myself (using the food from nanny family's home) this was all agreed. The children are toddlers so still just eat packed lunch rather than lunch out. If I decide to buy lunch I buy that myself, tbh I don't think they would mind paying, but since they let me eat whatever from their house, I feel that it's my choice to eat out. At first the parents made their lunches up (nanny share, young kids, didn't know what the parents liked them to eat) then gradually I started doing it myself. I just got a feel for the first few weeks for the types of food they wanted them to eat.
I think she'd be ok making them for your son, just say you like him to be fed healthy (no sugar if that's what you prefer) and she can then make herself food at the same time smile Hope this helps

Callaird Thu 12-May-16 14:42:58

I would generally pack a picnic for us all. If we are meeting friends we all make something different then share as you can guarantee that the children will want what the others have. And then will buy us all an ice cream/drink from kitty.

If we have to be out (bosses house is on the market and we have a viewing at tea time tomorrow so have to be out) them cost of tea for us both will come out of kitty. If I fancy going out for lunch/tea then I usually tend to pay myself.

I would ask her to take a picnic for all and get an ice cream/cake from kitty. It's a bit unfair for the children to eat a picnic lunch while nanny tucks into burger and chips etc!

marella9 Thu 12-May-16 14:58:57

Thanks makes total sense. I will suggest nanny pack a lunch at same time as packing lunch for son. Since we make a point of keeping fridge very well stocked, there should be stuff for her to eat. Treats and drinks can come out of kitty for both nanny and child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now