Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how much would you pay for a 3 hour 'craft' session

(30 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Wed 11-May-16 11:33:00

Ages 5-10 (maximum 6 per 3 hour class)

Good crafts (v. Well stocked craft room - wreath making/Christmas ornaments/candle making wink)

Zone 2/3 London - Saturday morning 9-12 - perfect time to catch up on chores/do your own shopping/spend time with partner

Run by teachers (obvs dbs checked)

LaurieFairyCake Wed 11-May-16 11:37:11

Not in your home obvs hmm - just realised I posted this in 'home childcare'

In my converted craft room.

lavendersun Wed 11-May-16 11:44:52

I used to pay £10 for 2 hours outside of London.

I will try to find a link.

lavendersun Wed 11-May-16 11:46:47

Oh, it was actually 2hrs 30 for £10.

'10 until 12.30, cost £10 and includes fun, snack and a drink'.

Abbinob Wed 11-May-16 11:48:41

I'd say 10/15 pounds

Abbinob Wed 11-May-16 11:49:23

Oh it's 3 hours, 15ish then

deepdarkwood Wed 11-May-16 11:50:27

I have paid £50+ for an all day session (take your own lunch; snacks provided) but with more of an arts than a craft basis, and making some pretty large/impressive things (large canvas/clothing/large sculpture).

I think probably £10-15? I think if I was you I'd be tempted to go with 2h30/later start - I wouldn't want to commit to getting my dc somewhere for 9am. 9.30 I might manage ;-)

LaurieFairyCake Wed 11-May-16 12:20:06

Hmm interesting. Could you say if any of you are in London? Ordinary (!) childminding in my area is £7 an hour

I am thinking of more impressive/expensive crafts (not just painting and sticking) Was thinking about making aprons/tote bags/wreaths (they're quite expensive to make)

LaurieFairyCake Wed 11-May-16 12:25:50

I think an all day session would be quite good - I could theme it around the time of year.

So for a summer session we could make ice cream, a floor cushion on a summery theme, citronella candle, sleep spray, bath bomb, bunting cards and actual bunting.

BooAvenue Wed 11-May-16 12:26:22

I think it would be better done in the afternoon. I'd pay £25 for a 3 hour slot say 12-3 on a Saturday for my almost 6 year old and use the time to go for lunch somewhere adult with my husband.

luckiestgirl Wed 11-May-16 12:32:01

I live in SW London and would pay £30 tops. But it would be a once in the blue moon treat.

luckiestgirl Wed 11-May-16 12:33:37

Hmm, having seen your most recent post, I'd go to £35

LaurieFairyCake Wed 11-May-16 12:35:56

I was thinking about 25/30 smile

I've just done a pottery course (not pottery wheel) which was 100 for 6 hours

I might add in pottery too (hand building) as it was fab

PandasRock Wed 11-May-16 12:41:19

I am just outside London. Dd2's school runs craft days in the holidays. All day (well, 10-4), bring own lunch/drinks/snacks.

A mix of medium crafts (mostly art based) and bigger projects - a simple skirt, apron, shoe bag type things. Run by the Art teacher, and more recently the DT teacher has run some too - projects like planters for the garden, or bird boxes. They usually run for 3/4 days, and cost eg £40 per day or £100 for 3/£140 for 4.

The places fill up, as ft as I am aware, so there must be a demand for it.

yomellamoHelly Wed 11-May-16 12:41:29

Pay £30 for (a really decent) cooking club for 2.5 - 3 hours with all ingredients paid for where + aprons etc and where we get to take home the (generous amounts of) food at the end. That would be the most I'd pay. SW London

lavendersun Wed 11-May-16 13:24:10

Laurie, my arty crafty 9 year old wouldn't have the attention span for some of the things you have listed and between 5-8 would have been far more interested in playing after brief craft session. Not sure if that is something to bear in mind or not ..... must confess I am not a natural with small people grin.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 11-May-16 13:54:26

Don't worry, I'd be interspersing it with snacks and paddling pool jumping grin

Abbinob Wed 11-May-16 13:56:17

Actually i think 25/30 is fair, i didn't consider the fact that the parents don't have to stay, so it's sort of childcare too. i'd pay 30 quid to have ds off my hands for a few hours

RB68 Wed 11-May-16 14:19:31

I think between 30 and 45 depending on the materials costs is fine for a 3 hr teacher led properly checked and insured class - just think of the cost of pottery painting things.

UpsiLondoes Wed 11-May-16 14:23:23

5 year old in a stranger's home all day on his own? Nope! If it was run by school or after school club where he knew kids already, that would be different. But complete randoms in someone's house... I wouldn't put a child in reception year there.

steppemum Wed 11-May-16 14:30:30

my girls are 8 and 11 and pretty good at craft and can be pretty focussed. But three hours of concentrated craft to get a complex project finished, well, I am not sure the younger one would do it. Older one would.

If you interspersed it with paddling pools, they would go to the water and not return to the craft.

momb Wed 11-May-16 14:34:58

This would be so difficult to pitch with an age range of 5-10 years old.
For £30 you'd want something useable to come home but without lots of help a 5YO probably can't make something that well and why would you pay to send your child to have someone else do their craft for them?
I'd split it if I were you: I do Brownies and what the 7yo can do and what the 10YO can do is very different.

momb Wed 11-May-16 14:37:23

I'd offer this as a party. Charge £35 a head and throw in a little buffet lunch. People would be much more willing to sign up for a one off I think.

lavendersun Wed 11-May-16 15:04:02

I wouldn't necessarily want a qualified teacher either Laurie. Just someone with a crb check - I was going to compare to scouts/brownie leaders but momb got there first.

The woman who ran ours was a qualified teacher, no longer teaching children, and her lovely husband was a scout leader. They were just so lovely with the children. A parent had to stay to help the younger ones and she started from age 6.

citytocountry Wed 11-May-16 15:06:01

Hi

it sounds similar to these workshops which are half the time for £16.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now