This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should she have told me??

(7 Posts)
NannyC123 Wed 04-May-16 22:14:37

One of the children I nanny for told me that she and her brother both recently had threadworms. I had no idea about this.
Now, my understanding is that they're quite contagious if you're not diligent with washing hands, towels and bedding etc. I'm very good with washing hands but I do handle their towels and dirty laundry.

Do you think their mum (my employer) should have told me they had threadworms? If I'd have known, I would have washed all of their bedding and towels on an extra hot wash (which hasn't been done as I'm the only one who does the family's washing) I would have also been extra careful after handling the children's dirty laundry and just take general extra precautions. I also do the cleaning and would have done more thorough cleaning of the bathrooms and bedrooms.

I have been to the chemist and taken a threadworm tablet under the pharmacist's advice.

Should I bring it up with my employer?
We get on very well, but I am leaving in a month and don't want to step out of line. She may well have avoided telling me because she was embarrassed?? But I think the children's welfare and the fact that it's a contagious infection is more important.

Ninjagogo Wed 04-May-16 22:20:27

She should have told you, glad you took the tablet! Give the bedding and towels a hot wash anyway. And your stuff too.

jclm Wed 04-May-16 22:26:58

We only suspected worms so took the tablet as precaution. We have a nanny for 5 hours a week and didn't mention it to her as she doesn't work many hours for us.

If I were your employer I would have mentioned it to you. Not sure about embarrassment - nothing much embarrasses mums with small children! Maybe mb just forgot over the weekend? Maybe it was only suspected and taken as precaution if there was itching for instance? X

NannyC123 Wed 04-May-16 22:35:18

Thank you both!
Unfortunately the children definitely had worms (eldest told me she saw one after she'd been to the loo!)
I'll give bedding and towels an extra wash and put my stuff on too.

insancerre Thu 05-May-16 19:10:53

I've worked with children for 25 years
I always assume they all have worms and headline
Makes it a lot easier

Catsgowoof Sat 07-May-16 13:13:32

I'd go with a cheery '(eldest) mentioned they'd had worms so I've washed all the bedding and towels on an extra hot wash''

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 07-May-16 20:50:16

yes she should have done

all family/nannies/close regular contact in the family should be treated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now