This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Possible/probable theft by child

(5 Posts)
longdiling Tue 03-May-16 12:58:44

So last week I had some money go missing. Notes rather than coins. I am 99.9% sure I didn't move it and it was (stupidly I now know) in a visible place within reach. Nonetheless I have spent a whole week looking for it. I am now pretty sure that it's been taken. And I do have a sneaking suspicion about who has taken it but I don't think that's enough to go around throwing accusations . Neither do I feel I can just let this go though. I am debating sitting all the children down today for a chat about it. Perhaps offering the chance to put the money back within x amount of time and no hard feelings? Would this be a good idea? And if so do you think I should inform the parents before I do this?

My husband reckons I should tell them I'll give it a week then I'll be 'checking the cameras' but I don't actually have any and I'm not keen really on lying to them. If they call my bluff I'm just undermining myself.

jannier Tue 03-May-16 13:48:48

I think I would e a general chat about stealing how it makes everyone feel etc then say how if anyone makes a mistake the big thing to put it right is to return it and learn not to do it again, for example if anybody had taken anything of mine thy could put it here, maybe with a little sorry, what other ways of making things better could there be? and see what happens reactions etc maybe suggesting someone may have something to say later if you notice a guilty behaviour. You cant really do anymore as you don't know 100%.

I think in future I would add putting away valuable things as part of my pre start RA.

longdiling Tue 03-May-16 13:56:55

Thanks Jannier, that sounds good. Depressing to think I have to hide my valuables though, these kids feel like part of my family.

blublutoo Tue 03-May-16 21:16:31

How old is the child in question ? And how much money are we talking (not that it makes it right or wrong!) I'm just trying to paint a picture. I think depending on their age wod differ how I went about this.

jannier Wed 04-May-16 08:11:41

Its not an uncommon thing for children part of understanding ownership and coping with wanting what is not ours, even your own children can do this, so don't feel too bad it doesn't mean you have a future shop lifter on your hands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now