This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Goodbye gift for au pair

(6 Posts)
TheReferoo Sat 30-Apr-16 07:20:37

Our lovely au pair is leaving us shortly after a year of living with us. She's our first and I don't really know what's the done thing with regards to farewell gifts? Any tips?!

Karoleann Sat 30-Apr-16 08:25:06

I usually give them a bit of money, a moon pig goodbye card (with a picture of the family on it) and a small present (I've bought a keyring, purse, scarf and laptop bag).
We also either take them out for a nice meal during their last week or I cook something special.

Its always really sad when they go, ours is leaving in September after a year and a half (although she's staying in the UK) and we'll really miss her.

paddypants13 Sat 30-Apr-16 12:02:07

Our lovely au pair leaves soon and I have bought her a memory locket key ring (she doesn't wear jewellery) from Seasons Wholesale. I've bought her some charms that reflect her time with us. I'm also going to buy her some English things she can't buy very easily in her home country.

Gusthetheatrecat Sat 30-Apr-16 23:36:00

I think there is no 'done thing', it all depends on your relationship and how you feel about them leaving. Previously I have got departing au pairs a present and taken them out for a farewell meal. I tended to choose a present that I knew they would really like, and tried to get my little girls to draw them a farewell card too. This seemed to go down pretty well.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 30-Apr-16 23:46:54

We sometimes paid coach fare home.

HazAlways Sun 01-May-16 21:54:30

We have in the last years got them tix for thr summertime ball, its a great end to the year for them. Ours are usually music fans so it works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now