Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Grumpy Childminder (me!)

(7 Posts)
MoodyWarps Fri 29-Apr-16 22:08:27

Parent constantly changes time of drop off and collection, has paid me late approx 19 out of the 24 months I have cared for the child. Late fees make no difference, parent just doesn't care. Applies the same level of organisation to their child's school, so I end up providing extras such as wellies and water bottles for school trips, make an extra Easter bonnet to drop off, things to ensure child isn't left out.
This week child was going away for the weekend with Grandparents, parent told me that child was being picked up early from school on Thurs and off on Fri, while I was waiting for another child on Thurs I spotted child in line so collected as no one else was there for them. Child informs me that the other parent is collecting and dropping off to me the next morning. I text parent to inform them of their mistake in the days they had told me and have received no reply! I don't expect a grovelling apology but an acknowledgment that they were mistaken and perhaps a thank you for yet again picking up the slack would have been nice. Time to give notice? I don't know what to do.

HSMMaCM Sat 30-Apr-16 09:41:21

Definitely time to give notice.

MoodyWarps Sat 30-Apr-16 19:26:04

Thank you, it's so difficult. I worry about the child and who will do these things if I don't. But of course, it isn't really my concern.

jclm Sun 01-May-16 20:32:58

Omg!!! What a stress... This parent needs a full time nanny. I would also give notice

MoodyWarps Mon 02-May-16 14:55:30

Thank you.

jannier Mon 02-May-16 21:51:35

Its so hard we sometimes feel we are the only ones holding things together for a child and it can give you sleepless nights. The trouble is then parents can end up taking us for granted and not doing their job once we are not there they may pull their socks up or one forget may nudge them into action. bit like she will do it so why bother.
I would document the last incident if you haven't already in reality children do sometimes get left at school and school does have procedures so whilst upsetting for the child they would have been cared for. The school would if unable to contact a parent have contacted social services if things had gone on to long and will of course keep records themselves should it be a regular thing. So your not letting lo down.
Look after your self now If you cant keep coping with the stress both of what next for the child and of carrying the financial burden its time to give notice you will feel much better.
A proper cm relationship is a two way thing not just you doing al the extras. If you have concerns for the child then follow the safeguarding procedures.

MoodyWarps Tue 03-May-16 11:22:54

Thank you. I know that the child would be cared for, you are right with all that you say. I don't have concerns for the child as they are surrounded by people that do what needs doing, Grandparents, aunts, and so on, I realise that I have also become one of the people on that list.
The parent turned up 20 minutes late today, no mention of anything from last week. I think I will send a letter informing the parent of the issues as they truly seem oblivious to it, then give notice as soon as anything else occurs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now