Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Employing a nanny please help

(14 Posts)
nicegirl73 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:36:23

Hi,
this is all so daunting.... I'm self employed and in the process of employing the nanny I've found.

Registering as an employer.... do I choose as an individual for a support worker? Then I can't do it online and ringing them seems impossible... Or a sole trader, but then it asks what my business does??

I could employ her trough my business but that make little sense as her job description would be wrong...?

Also more practical... if nanny doesn't want to work with my children when they are ill to prevent spreading it to other children she minds, do I still pay her those days?

Hopefully someone will be able to help soon. xx

RicStar Thu 28-Apr-16 18:42:52

I did ring to register - it was fine to get through but this was a couple of years ago. You will be your nannies employer - I would say most nannies work when dc are ill. Maybe not d&v bug but most things. If they are very part time for you then you might need to reach an agreement - i think it would be quite hard to agree contractually though.

nicegirl73 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:46:33

I guess I will try again tomorrow morning.

wizzywig Thu 28-Apr-16 18:48:18

It may be easier to just pay fir a payroll company to sort it all out for you aswell as do your payslips

nicegirl73 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:50:31

I had my own business for many years in the past and employed people it's just different now, so much paperwork. I think it should be ok to do it myself, it's just a lot of all new things

bluecarpet Thu 28-Apr-16 19:03:51

Nannies look after children when they are ill. It's one of the main benefits.

nicegirl73 Thu 28-Apr-16 19:05:19

ok, think we need to have a chat then. she wasn't keen to look after my boy with chickenpox

bluecarpet Thu 28-Apr-16 19:07:49

Unpaid leave and reconsider if she's right for the job.

tilder Thu 28-Apr-16 19:10:21

I talked it through with my nanny. Basically, as long as the kids were happy, she was happy to look after them when ill. Unless d&v or something plague like. It's a perk of having a nanny. These things are best agreed in advance and in writing.

Our nanny had a second family too. I think our nanny was immune to everything as in three years she never had a day off sick!

I would second an agency for payroll etc. They had great advice too.

nicegirl73 Thu 28-Apr-16 20:31:32

I've managed to register now anyway, wohoooo lol

Callaird Thu 28-Apr-16 22:08:17

As a nanny, I am happy to look after an ill child. Contagious illnesses mainly have a period where they are contagious but have no symptoms so we are likely to get it anyway!

I've been a nanny for 29 years, I have had 11 days off due to illness (although three days were when I put my back out and could not get off the floor. Some git had parked so close to my car that I couldn't get twin 1 in to his car seat and twisted awkwardly, thankfully this was in the doctors car park!) I've looked after children with D&V bugs, chickenpox, mumps, various coughs and colds and one case of swine flu, 3 year old twins who were put in different wards, mum, dad and I took turns in being in the hospital with them, 6 awful days with two very poorly, unhappy children who I care deeply for, there is no way I would have said "I'm not helping, I might catch it!"

That said touches wood I rarely get unwell myself.

nicegirl73 Thu 28-Apr-16 23:01:38

thank you all for sharing..

CharlotteR1 Mon 02-May-16 09:35:52

I work for a nanny agency in London. We advise our clients to register with a company called nannytax. They offer employment advice. Or try regalnannies.co.uk

Oly5 Mon 02-May-16 12:06:17

I use NannyPAYE
They are brilliant, worth every penny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now