This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

have i been abit stupid?!

(38 Posts)
JeSSicA19922 Thu 28-Apr-16 10:48:50

im due to stop child minding end of may and begin nanny job in june I know this isn't a forum for nannies but would love if one of you kind people could help with a quick question..

I have signed and returned my contract which was all fine and partner checked it too but its just dawned on me this morn that there was nothing in it regarding maternity.. should there be or am I being abit dim?! I am in no way planning a baby imminently but would like to think it will hopefully happen if we are lucky enough in the next year/18m .. was wondering if there should be a clause in there about maternity pay, leave etc. or if when it came to it we would just discuss as I am employed by them so all would have to be above board or inline with statutory gov rights etc.. thanks in advance! x

bluecarpet Thu 28-Apr-16 11:07:27

likely you'd be entitled to statutory only - it was in the contracts I used when I employed a nanny. Worth mentioning it - their response will tell you volumes about how they will treat you if you do get pregnant and that is worth knowing now.....

assume they are going to pay you properly with tax and NI etc? if not you'll be entitled to nothing.

JeSSicA19922 Thu 28-Apr-16 11:16:44

Hi yes all above board with tax NI pay slips holiday etc.
They seem lovely but I really don't want to bring it up because i'm worried they will think i'm 'planning to get pregnant ' but I genuinely aren't! It just dawned on me like I said but I cant imagine if I was there when got pregnant that they would want to keep me down to nannies not massively popular in my area therefore wouldn't find someone temp I highly doubt and cant imagine they would want me to take my child with me when I went back as they have twins and a 3 yr old. .. argh I don't know what to do sad is it a big deal ? would they pay me same as statutory after the first 6 weeks of 90%? If so is it a problem?

Karoleann Thu 28-Apr-16 11:21:46

It would all just be in line with statutory so yes, you'd get 6 weeks at 90% and then statutory after that.
You of course have the right to return to your job afterwards, but obviously not with your child and yes its unlikely they would take you back with your own child (you'd have problems getting them all in a car anyway).

I don't think it needs discussing.

JeSSicA19922 Thu 28-Apr-16 11:24:13

I don't use the car for new job everything is within walking distance I find you very rude. I started the thread if you want to be rude go comment on someone elses.

nannynick Thu 28-Apr-16 11:43:51

This IS a forum for nannies, so you are in the right place.

Some contracts will contain a Maternity Pay section. It will generally just say that if you are entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) then you will be paid SMP.

I agree that this does not need discussing as it is a Statutory Payment and thus if the situation does occur then the legislation at that time would apply.

JeSSicA19922 Thu 28-Apr-16 11:46:02

thanks smile okay I will bring it up but I haven't even started yet I really don't want them to be put off .. contracts hsve been signed so I guess they couldn't really do much :s

nannynick Thu 28-Apr-16 11:56:19

You don't need to bring it up as it is a statutory entitlement, all employers have to provide it, subject to employee eligibility.

JeSSicA19922 Thu 28-Apr-16 12:08:31

So even though there is nothing in contract in relation to mat pay or leave I can just wait until it happens?

HSMMaCM Thu 28-Apr-16 12:11:26

I wouldn't bother to mention it. It's statutory, so it will be in line with regulations at the time. If you mention it when you're not planning to get pregnant, they will just worry you'll be going off soon.

HSMMaCM Thu 28-Apr-16 12:12:23

I don't honk Karoleann was being rude, I think she was just pointing out some practicalities.

HSMMaCM Thu 28-Apr-16 12:13:08

Think, not honk grin

blublutoo Thu 28-Apr-16 12:23:52

I agree that you don't need to mention it yet either. It could be ages away yet.
I also don't think she was being rude either, she was stating facts. I look after 2 toddlers and would actually find it rather difficult bringing a baby into the mix, and I don't mean in terms of handling them, but she's right, transporting them would be a problem! Triple buggy? !

JeSSicA19922 Thu 28-Apr-16 12:52:47

As ive stated this is not planned as you cant plan a pregnancy but within the next 2 years also hence by then the twins would be walking and at pre school for the funded hours. Why is everyone so quick to presume the situation I didn't ask for your thoughts on that I asked should SMP etc be in my contract or not. So thank you to the helpful people who have answered

whois Thu 28-Apr-16 13:06:27

Why is everyone so quick to presume the situation I didn't ask for your thoughts on

You mentioned NWOC yourself first!

I highly doubt and cant imagine they would want me to take my child with me when I went back as they have twins and a 3 yr old.

I think you are being rude to Karoleann by calling her ride when she was only giving helpful advice.

JeSSicA19922 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:10:05

Yes to explain why I was asking the question i.e the situation I would be in. Seriously its like a lions den on here on many threads ive read. Pure nastiness just stop.

Karoleann Thu 28-Apr-16 13:16:08

why was I rude? Your question was should I have discussed it and I said no you didn't need to discuss it as your employer HAS to pay you maternity pay - its not optional for her - it makes no difference if its in your contract or not. They will also need to pay towards a pension for you in the fairly near future.

You yourself also put that you can't imagine that they'd want you back afterwards with your own child.

Is it your first nanny job? You'll need to learn not to get worked up so quickly or you'll not be employed long enough to claim maternity pay.

NerrSnerr Thu 28-Apr-16 13:22:07

No one has been rude or nasty, people are just trying to help.

If I had 3 small children I wouldn't want my nanny to bring their baby as I would want my children getting the undivided attention, but that is just me.

FatimaLovesBread Thu 28-Apr-16 13:24:31

Agree with the other that it doesn't need to be in your contract as it is a legal statutory right.

Not sure where you think people have been rude to you or where the lions den is though, unless you've read the posts differently to me confused

nbee84 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:48:03

Cant see where anyone has been rude apart from you op.

People have pointed out that you are entitled to statutory maternity leave. If you are wanting to return to work after you have a baby your employers are not in any way obliged to let you bring your baby with you.

JeSSicA19922 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:48:54

'it doesn't need discussing'
Well I obviously wanted to discuss it or wouldn't of posted.

see there we go again.. nasty presumptions comments.
No its far from my first nanny job I have an abundance of experience.
Seriously wish id never asked.
Yes i'm well aware of the pension legalities for employees thanks v much, im not worked up at all, calm as ill ever be. No need to continue this thread, highly dull.

nbee84 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:51:17

'It doesn't need discussing' means with your new employer re the contracts - not that you shouldn't discuss it on here!!!

NannyR Thu 28-Apr-16 13:52:22

"It doesn't need discussing" as in you don't need to discuss it with your employer. You are the only one being rude here.

NerrSnerr Thu 28-Apr-16 13:52:22

Are you reading a different thread to the rest of us? Where is all this nastiness?

LemonBreeland Thu 28-Apr-16 13:54:23

I think she meant it doesn't need discussing with the employer, not that you shouldn't discuss it here. Take a chill pill dear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now