Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Bank holidays

(4 Posts)
Toomanywheeliebinsagain Wed 27-Apr-16 19:05:12

I currently contract a nanny 10.5 hours a week (this will rise to 2.5 days a week shortly). Most of hours fall on Monday and since we have started we have had two bank hols (one coming on Monday). I pro rated her holiday and included in contract so her total number of hours of paid holidays including public holidays were stated. So in my mind she either takes it as leave (gets paid and I reduce it from holiday allowance) or does hours later in week (either is fine) but she assumes she gets it off. Am I right or am I missing something?

nannynick Wed 27-Apr-16 21:13:09

There is no automatic right to have bank holidays off. Any entitlement tl have a bank holiday off is a contractual matter.

Statutory minimum holiday would be 5.6weeksx 10.5hours = 58.8 hours.
If they usually work 7 hours on a Monday then if they took a bank holiday Monday off then that 7 hours comes out of the 58.8 hours. This is just an example.

So I agree with you that if you do not require her to work on bank holiday Monday, you still pay her and it comes out of annual leave.

You do not need to offer other hours in the week or expect her to work other hours in the week. If she and you agree though, you can swap the day so that she works a different day and does not use a day of annual leave.

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Thu 28-Apr-16 08:56:53

That's what I thought. I don't think she understands (English not first language) which makes it tricky.
I wonder if previous employers just paid it anyway in full but it is a lot of money on top of paid holiday anyway

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Thu 28-Apr-16 08:57:56

(Posted too soon) very happy to pay her holiday and have calculated more than stat requirements

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now