Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How do I become a Maternity Nanny? Any advise?

(26 Posts)
ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 09:53:18

So I'm 17 and I've found a career that I really want to do. I have a love of babies, so I think this would be a great career for me. The thing is, I have no idea how to become a maternity nanny. I'm 18 in October, in September I'm going to college to do a Level 2 CACHE Certificate in an Introduction to Early Years Education and Care (QCF) and then the year after a Level 3 Certificate/Diploma in Childcare and Education (Early Years Educator)
Will this help me become a Maternity Nanny?

I've found a course which is specifically for training to be a nanny. It's a Level 4 OCN Maternity Practitioner Award, I've read on their information sheet that I have to be in my mid 20s and have atleast 3 years of maternity nanny experience prior to being accepted on the course. So this is my question: If this course is specifically for becoming a maternity nanny, then how do I gain 3 years experience before joining the course? Because if I don't have any proper knowledge of if and I'm just starting out a family or couple with a baby won't employ someone who's got no experience, so I'm wondering how will I get employmemt in the first place if I'm not experienced anyway?

Can my college courses help me? Sorry this is really long I just have so many questions about it because I KNOW that this is my dream career.

RattieOfCatan Sun 24-Apr-16 15:04:04

Can you go straight into a level 3 course? There's no point doing the level 2 if so. I'm not a maternity nanny but I am a normal nanny. Level 3's are essential if you have no experience IMO. Though you might want to look at the other level 3 options as an Early Years Educator course would be centred around the teaching aspect in nurseries I would imagine? I'm not sure what options there are these days though, I started (and had to leave) an NVQ in Children's Care, Learning and Development and eventually got the level three Children and Young Persons Workforce qualification a few years ago.

Look into doing some Mother's Help type work, it's less hands on with the babies as you are there to help Mum do everything but you will have childcare elements in a MH role. It's suitable for people looking to start out.

An option to look at is completing a level 3 whilst working. MNT offer this kind of training. You have to find a job first though but au pair positions are enough to do the level 3, at least they were when I did my CCLD (though I didn't do it through MNT, I completed my CYPW through them though).

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 24-Apr-16 16:34:18

Think you are taking about the mnt. That's what I have

Yes they won't allow you on course till least 20 and 3yrs exp as a nanny

This is as the coursework is quite demanding and lots of theory and using experience in situations you've been in etc

So basically you need to ideally get a nanny qual then work as a nanny for 3yrs then apply for mnt

ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 16:43:00

No I can't go straight to Level 3 because I didn't have the grade requirements for the course, so I have to do level 2 and work up to level 3. The Level 4 OCN course is MNT, but it says I need to be in my mid 20s and have atleast 3 years of maternity nanny experience. I don't know where to get that experience. I've found an agency called Eden Nannies, you can become a Junior Nanny, but I need level 2 and 3 and I have to do a University degree of Early Childcare Studies OR have atleast 3 years experience with babies and children. This is the the thing, I don't know HOW to get the experience.

Yes I have heard of Au Pair, but I don't know alot about it. Could you tell me more please? You said I could do Au Pair while doing my level 3, but I have 2 days at college and the 3 days work experience, so I don't think I'd have time to do it.

No that's the only level 3 for Childcare I could find, when I went to my college interview I was told if I want to become a maternity nanny, then I would have to complete level 3 as well as level 2.

Where would I find some mother's help type work? Sorry for asking lots of questions I'm just really confused.

ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 16:46:37

Yes I was talking about MNT. This is the thing, I don't know WHERE to find nanny work and how do I get a nanny qualification?

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 24-Apr-16 17:16:47

You can do a nvq or cache (think called that)

Once have the qual then advertise yourself

Many agencies won't have you on their books till have 2yrs exp nannying

Almost a catch 22

Some agencies may - so apply and see what they say

You then do a nanny job if you can get one. Or mothers help then go onto next job with a ref and possibly sole charge

After a few years of nannying you can they apply for the mnt

You may need to do level 3 first as you have no experience. Then level 4

Yes sorry meant mid 20's to be able to apply

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 24-Apr-16 17:17:59

Plus look on childcare . Co . U.K. For mothers help jobs near you

LittleNelle Sun 24-Apr-16 17:20:50

Get your level 2 and level 3 qualifications first - that will get you some good experience working in nurseries and schools too.

Then get a job - either as a mother's help/junior nanny here, or as an au pair if you fancy going abroad. Look for a job with a baby.

If you find you enjoying nannying and baby care, do the MNT course in a few years time.

Your level 3 is a 'nanny' qualification. You can find work either through an agency or local netmums, gumtree, facebook sites.

MagpieCursedTea Sun 24-Apr-16 17:26:08

One of the ways to get a job at the end of your course, is to really impress on placement. If a vacancy comes up at the end of one of your placements, then you give yourself a good shot at getting it. That'll get you the childcare experience/job history you need to get onto the next course.

ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 17:38:56

This is the thing, I don't know where or how to find junior nannny work of mother's help. How will I get employed in the first place if I don't have experience? Yes during my level 2 and 3 I have a few days in work placement in nurseries and places like that, but how do I get a nanny or mother's help in the first place? Sorry If I'm sounding annoying and repetitive.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 24-Apr-16 18:14:12

Look on childcare for mothers help jobs

Write your own ad on there

It's free tho needs membership to send messages or the parents will send you one and you can reply for free

LittleNelle Sun 24-Apr-16 18:17:55

You might have to start off in a nursery to get some experience. Or you could do 6-12 months as an au pair. Or keep an eye out for local adverts for babysitters or mother's helps.

ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 18:24:30

I've been considering becoming an Au Pair. Would this be considered as experience that can help me find work with babies and children in the future?

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 24-Apr-16 18:25:08

No au pair doesn't count in experience for mnt

ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 18:33:14

So basically, all I need to do it complete my Level 2 and 3, get some work experience/ a job in a nursery or I could find work as a mother's help or become an Au Pair? If I complete my level 2 and 3 will parents be more willing to employ me?

Vixxfacee Sun 24-Apr-16 18:39:43

Can you work in a nursery doing an apprenticeship but get paid nursery nurse wages and get the level 3 qualification and experience.

Cindy34 Sun 24-Apr-16 18:55:25

Could look at evening classes for getting the English and Maths grades needed?

Job wise, try to get a nanny job, perhaps a mothers help type position with someone who has twins under age 1. Getting baby experience could be of help, could lead to another job working for a family with a baby, or twins and then have enough experience and by this time also the grades needed to be able to get on the maternity nanny course.

Cindy34 Sun 24-Apr-16 18:57:25

You may be able to do English and Maths GCSEs alongside your childcare course at college. Talk to the college about what they offer and what would fit with your course commitments (such as practical placements).

rollonthesummer Sun 24-Apr-16 18:59:29

Can't you get a job in a nursery or do a nursery nurse qualification (NNEB OR BTEC type thing)?

ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 19:58:50

Oh I know I'll have to do English and Maths, but because I passed my English in my GCSE's I'll only have to do maths.

ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 19:59:59

Also my college course has 3 days in college and 2 days in work placement every week, so atleast I'll have some experience.

ChantelleOlivia Sun 24-Apr-16 20:01:32

I could do an apprenticeship, i've applied for lots and I haven't heard back from any of them, so I think I'l just stick to my college course.

mangocoveredlamb Sun 24-Apr-16 20:04:35

To find babysitting/mothers help type work join your local parent's network on Facebook and look for work/advertise there.

Vixxfacee Sun 24-Apr-16 23:08:08

Apply for a nursery nurse jobs. They will moreceive than likely train you.

RattieOfCatan Mon 25-Apr-16 12:14:04

Sorry, I didn't realise ap wasn't okay for MNT, I did my first qualification through a local college but from home and the ap role I had was sufficient! But looking back it was more of a junior nanny role really which might be why I was allowed to do it.

As the others have said, childcare is a good site to advertise, as is fb. Gumtree might be worth checking too. There may be people who want help on a Saturday or Sunday as well. If you have any local shops pop a cars up saying that you are available. It does depend on the area you are in as well though,in some areas the demand just might not be there and you may have to be willing to bus it a bit to get work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now