Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Helping an Au Pair find a new position

(7 Posts)
TheExtraGuineaPig Sun 17-Apr-16 12:41:37

I just wondered if anyone else has had to do this... We have recently hired an Au Pair and she is working out brilliantly, lovely girl, helpful, great with kids etc. However my job is going badly and I am probably going to resign in the next few weeks). When I do I am going to take some time off so won't need the Au Pair. I feel so bad about it that I have been considering staying longer in the job so we don't have to let her go early but I realise that's probably a bit silly. My question is has anyone done this and do you have any advice on how to handle it and how to help her get a new family? We wouldn't be rushing her and would be able to give her at least 6 weeks notice. Thanks!

jclm Sun 17-Apr-16 13:27:55

Would she be willing to stay with you for less money, if she is working fewer hours. You could keep for for date night each week or to spend one to one time with each child? Or to cover you if you go for other job interviews? X

TheExtraGuineaPig Wed 20-Apr-16 13:02:23

Thank you jclm - I think she would be though I'm not sure... I still haven't resigned so I haven't had to have the conversation with her. She has just started a 10 week language course, also I have to do 6 weeks notice anyway so may talk to her about her staying til the end of that and then she can decide.

It's weird how very guilty I feel about it though!

jclm Wed 20-Apr-16 22:09:28

If you can keep her for less money (and less work), I would do that. It's so difficult to find a good au pair and she may be happy to search for babysitting elsewhere in your town.

blueshoes Wed 20-Apr-16 23:04:52

If you are in London or a big city, she should not have any problems finding a new family in the area, particularly if you give her a very good reference. 6 weeks is more than sufficient time.

Oly5 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:01:54

Send me her details! I'm looking for a fab au pair. We're an hour from London.

toots111 Sat 23-Apr-16 20:53:38

I'm in London and looking for an au pair!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now