This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

References for nanny - legal requirements?

(10 Posts)
AgentFF Thu 07-Apr-16 08:31:20

Does anyone know if you are required to give more than the basic "x worked for me as a nanny from y date to z date". Thinking about giving notice to the nanny (for various reasons) and whilst happy to discuss over the phone with a prospective employer would rather not write down our experiences (mixed experience). Just don't want the nanny to be able to say we did less than we were required to do even if it might harm her if we did put it down on paper.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 07-Apr-16 12:35:13

If the nanny hasn't done anything wrong then I would be pissed off to have such a reference from an employee

Why can't you write she is good at abc - punctual - loving - reliable etc

Tho Obv depending if she was

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 07-Apr-16 13:09:21

That's what my employer would give to any future employer in writing. If asked they would also confirm that I had not been sacked for misconduct, confirm my attendance record and my job title. That's it. Large employers are very careful about what they say due to possible liability issues.

But if I was employing a nanny, a reference such as you are proposing would be a death knell.

You don't actually have to provide a written reference to be carried around to all and sundry. He/She can simply put your contact details on their CV.

Cindy34 Thu 07-Apr-16 13:32:20

No requirement to provide a detailed written reference but your nanny may find it harder to find a new job with a very basic reference, some people may not bother calling.

How long they have been with you may make a difference. If they have been with you a couple of weeks, then that is very different to being with you for many years. The longer they have worked for you the more detail I feel should be put on the reference... though legally I doubt there is any requirement to do so.

iyamehooru Thu 07-Apr-16 22:39:56

I was always told it's not what you say in a reference it's what you,don't say that counts!

Karoleann Fri 08-Apr-16 06:16:45

You don't need to giver her anything unless she asks and if she's been dismissed she unlikely to ask you.
But yes legally you just need to be truthful, so if you have doubts about her ability to do her job properly and want to alert other parents then its a good reference to give out.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 08-Apr-16 07:58:11

What has she done or not done - as in why do you want to give her notice

How long has she been with you?

Hotcrossbunsandcheese Sun 10-Apr-16 21:50:32

That is exactly the type of reference my company would give for anyone who has worked for them

HuckleberryGin Sun 10-Apr-16 22:04:04

There is no legal obligation to give a reference. If you do give one, it must be fair, accurate and truthful.

Callaird Mon 11-Apr-16 12:41:59

You also cannot say that she did something that you disagree with, i.e., left the toddler alone in the garden while going inside to change the babies nappy, therefore putting the toddler at risk, if you didn't pull her up on it at the time and/or give her a formal warning. You have to let them know what they did wrong, tell them how you want it done and then give them a chance to improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now