Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice on what to pay nanny

(12 Posts)
MilkAndFenty Wed 06-Apr-16 21:57:31

Hi there!
I'm new to nannies and was after some advice on what to pay gross.
We live outside of London and are looking for a part time nanny.
I was thinking £11 gross, and the lady at the agency agreed that this was acceptable.
However, now I'm wondering if im getting gross and net confused!
Is £11 Gross a normal rate?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 06-Apr-16 22:29:12

Salary depends on area experience age and supply and demand

Where are you??

I would say that £11 gross is a tad low for someone like me - but for newly qualified /5yrs exp prob ok

MilkAndFenty Wed 06-Apr-16 22:53:18

Okay great- what is a more average sounding amount?

MilkAndFenty Wed 06-Apr-16 22:53:40

We're in warwickshire

Cindy34 Thu 07-Apr-16 06:10:46

£8-12 perhaps. Decide on what you can afford and offer a bit below that. See who you get applying. Then increase if you don't find anyone suitable.

Karoleann Thu 07-Apr-16 07:22:52

milk - it depends on if you want a full day or just after school. For a full day outside London £11 gross seems reasonable.
Though, if the lady at the agency agreed with you then I would go with £11/gross.

Paffle Thu 07-Apr-16 07:28:50

Just make sure it's very clear before anyone agrees anything. Most nannies (IME) quote rates in £net ph so they may kind of assume net even if you're saying gross IYSIM. I would also use an online calculator to work out roughly what the net is for comparison purposes. £11 net ph is what a fairly experienced Nanny would get in London IME.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 07-Apr-16 09:01:23

Tbh if the lady at the agency said this is an ok wage then go with it

But what nannies do you get for that? Few years exp? 10yrs? 25yrs (like me)

I couldn't afford to pay my bills etc on £11 gross

It's also what you can afford to pay

Make it clear what you are paying to nannies

Many older more experienced nannies deal in gross now but many in nett

MilkAndFenty Thu 07-Apr-16 12:24:39

Okay great- thank you all for the advice-
I'm not sure who they will send yet, she said she will gat some candidates together and then send them for interview. I think we are going to negotiate a gross salary- from what I understand that is the most straightforward method to agree pay.

Paffle Thu 07-Apr-16 12:34:14

My experience has been that we have discussed a net rate but then in contract calculated what that works out as gross. Certainly don't put a net rate in the contract. Can be disastrous. Good luck!

Ilovewillow Fri 22-Apr-16 21:34:00

Hope it helps - we pay £14 gross, 4 weeks hols plus bank holiday although in reality the holiday is longer than that (our own decision though). On top costs are the Employers NI and and liability insurance. I don't know if you have access to childcare vouchers but if they are oFsted registered you can save some of your personal tax and NI by using the!

dairymilkmonster Sat 23-Apr-16 19:16:06

We Are paying £12/hr gross to a nanny withlevel 3 qualifications, ofsted, first aid etc etc and 6 yrs experience. We live in oxfordshire, round here people pay about £11-13 unless just out of nanny college/nursery job when it is a bit less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now