Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Babysitting

(12 Posts)
WickedGirl Thu 31-Mar-16 10:19:32

If you were looking for a nanny and offered a job at £10-12 an hour, met a nanny you liked that asked for £12 and offers her £11.50 (which she said "no, I'd like £12), would you ask for free babysitting?

noimaginationatall Thu 31-Mar-16 10:20:49

No, that is blurring the boundaries.

You either need to find someone else or suck it up and put the £12 per hour.

KP86 Thu 31-Mar-16 10:22:39

I'm confused. If you have a nanny why would you need free babysitting?

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 31-Mar-16 10:40:35

She obviously isn't the nanny for you if you don't think she is worth the £12 an hour. Have you discussed if this figure is gross as that's how nannies work now and not net

WickedGirl Thu 31-Mar-16 10:45:22

Thank you

I am the nanny not the employer. The job was advertised at £10-12 gross. I was ideally hoping for £12 net but said to the family I would want £12 gross (since that's the rate advertised with the job). That was my lower limit and their upper limit

I feel a little insulted but wasn't sure I was being sensitive

I am a qualified nanny with over 20 years experience and fantastic refs to back it up.

avelinomloyi Thu 31-Mar-16 11:49:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cindy34 Thu 31-Mar-16 18:16:29

If their max is £12 gross and you want more than that then it is not the job for you. You need to earn what you need to pay your bills plus put something towards savings, so you need to look for work that pays the salary you require, or change your spending so you can take a lower salary.

Babysitting is extra. As a nanny you may be working a 40-60 hour week as it is. Do you really want to be doing babysitting as well, especially unpaid?

Forresitters Thu 31-Mar-16 20:12:26

They shouldn't be advertising a job at £10-£12ph if they are not willing to pay the higher rate. Babysitting is not free either!

RicStar Thu 31-Mar-16 20:17:37

I am a mb and I wouldn't do this but they advertised a range - they were probably secretly hoping for the mid point - so some way off your expectations. I guess it depends on your local market / age of child / general connection with parents (which doesn't sound great as this upset you). They can ask. You can say no. You can say no to the job.

RicStar Thu 31-Mar-16 20:18:59

Just to be clear I think additional evening babysitting for no pay / included in a monthly salary is not a nice thing to ask but it's not an unheard of thing to ask.

Knoxy75 Fri 01-Apr-16 07:17:48

I am looking for help with collecting my children from school and to bring them home in the Wells area. Can anyone recommend a reliable babysitter/childminder?

jclm Sat 02-Apr-16 23:02:38

As others have said, probably not the job for you if it is outside of your ideal salary range,and if there are plenty more jobs around. But tbh jobs are more than the salary - I would choose on connection with the family and work/life balance as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now