Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Anyone had any experience of a Newly Qualified Norland (or 'probationer nanny')?

(21 Posts)
ParsleyTheLion1 Tue 29-Mar-16 13:15:56

If so, can you share your impressions? thanks

8angle Tue 29-Mar-16 17:10:42

hi we have a Norland Nanny - we are her second job. I think what makes them "special" is the huge amount of commitment they have to put in to qualify means only those people who really have a vocation for the job qualify and this is the same whether they are newly qualified or with many years experience.

The benefits of experience are obvious! the benefits of newly qualified / youth are that they will be the most up to date on all the newest thinking plus it is all fresh in their minds. I also think there is a lot to be said for having someone come to work in your home with no pre-conceived ideas of "this is what i did with my last family".

The amount you pay also increases with experience.

hope this helps

ParsleyTheLion1 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:35:54

thanks 8angle.
It's my impression we couldn't afford a qualified Norland. Do you mind my asking how much you pay your nanny? Is she live in/live out? And are you in / outside London?

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Wed 30-Mar-16 12:49:53

I had a probationer in the days when they had to do their probation year before qualification. She was wonderful. Experienced beyond her years and a big part of our life still.

8angle Wed 30-Mar-16 15:10:32

Hi, she is live in, 24 hours a day Monday to Friday, we both work full time and travel a lot with work sad. In London we pay £50k.

ParsleyTheLion1 Thu 31-Mar-16 21:04:46

ahh, so effectively proxy parenting?
That must be great experience for your nanny.
thanks Username

Dannygirl Sat 02-Apr-16 15:44:21

We pay £11.50 gross/hr for a recently qualified Norland nanny in the north of England. We are her first live out position. She is amazing with the children, confident, mature beyond her years and very professional.

harshbuttrue1980 Sun 03-Apr-16 09:21:52

8angle, you seriously have your nanny working 24 hours a day? I'm not against nannies - many parents have to work, and a loving nanny can be the best form of childcare if the hours are long. But seriously, your nanny doesn't get a break at all from monday to Friday? Aren't you worried she'll burn out?? She is entitled to a life too, and to see her own family and friends. Why don't you let her have time off when you are at home after work? It also must be horrible for your children if you ignore them and pass them over to the nanny even when you are at home. Aren't you interested in the upbringing of your children at all?? Posts like yours make me feel sad.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 03-Apr-16 09:25:34

Harsh and Parsley, don't you think you are making a few assumptions about 8angle's situation???

Thunderbumsmum Sun 03-Apr-16 09:26:29

Haha harshbuttrue. It's funny that you think it's any of your business.

Artandco Sun 03-Apr-16 09:27:20

Harsh - many people work away. If they aren't in the country how can they give nanny a break in evening? I know a few people who have a nanny like this. Nanny is booked mon-fri 24/7 to allow for them travelling away mon-fri so children can stay for school etc. If one week parents are not travelling them nanny is booked same times but usually free from 6pm every night until 8am if possible for work. That way they are booked for maximum time needed, but parents can give them extra free time in the weeks they are around, and not worry about overtime on the weeks they aren't.
24/7 Nannies also work very different from daily nannies usually, as they are 24hrs they are more likely to have extra flexibility to take kids to places not solely child related like a parent would.

8angle Sun 03-Apr-16 11:38:17

Hi, she is contracted to be on call 24 hours 5 days a week but if either of us are home we take over, she normally has at least 2 nights during the week were she goes out to see friends.
It just felt better when employing her to employ and pay for the "worst case scenario"
Rather than always be asking for extra when we needed it.
I try to do bath and bed at least 4 times a week (including the weekend).
We are also lucky because although we both travel regularly we are also both bosses of our own businesses so have flexibility to come home during the day of not busy!

As previously stated it's proxy parenting when we are unable to but if we are around we parent smile

ParsleyTheLion1 Sun 03-Apr-16 13:14:14

harshbuttrue1980 I guess, from your username, that it is your raison d'être on MN to judge? Maybe it is a sport for you.
Also, why would the nanny burn out? It's only a life that millions of parents lead all the time (i.e. 'on call' 24/7)
Anotherday Maybe you are unaware of the meaning of proxy parenting? Maybe you didn't see the question mark at the end of my sentence "ahhh, so effectively proxy parenting?", inviting angle to correct me if I was mistaken?

harshbuttrue1980 Mon 04-Apr-16 10:12:49

Thunder, its an internet forum. If people don't think that their lives are anyone's business, they wouldn't post on an online forum.
Parsley, yes, I would judge someone who didn't spend any time with their children - children are not accessories, but living and breathing mini human beings who need to feel loved and wanted. I'm not saying that they need to be with their parents 24/7, but they do need to know who their parents are. 8angle has since explained that she actually does do bedtimes at least four times a week and usually spends two evenings a week with her children while her nanny goes out.
Parsley, you are being naive if you don't feel that a nanny working 24/5 could burn out. There's a reason why most of us are not employed 24/5. 8angle has explained that she does allow her nanny to see friends, but if someone didn't then that could easily lead to burnout. A parents can get a babysitter for a night out, arrange playdates with mummy friends, run errands with the kids in tow or put the kids in front of a DVD to have a break. A 24 hour nanny wouldn't have this option and would have to be "on" all the time.

sephineee Mon 04-Apr-16 11:54:23

harsh+ - have you confused this board with AIBU?

£11.50 gross for a Norland Nanny? That seems very good value?

ParsleyTheLion1 Mon 04-Apr-16 12:15:18

I don't stick my child in front of a DVD. And I would assume that a nanny could arrange playdates with other nannies/friends with kids (although, my DS is only 15 months so these 'playdates' are nothing like restful as he can't yet "play" with other kids and needs pretty much constant supervising), and run errands with the kids in tow (albeit not their own errands, but that's what weekends are for....and anyway, working parents can't run errands during the week either), just like a mum,
Also, given the cost of babysitters (on top of the cost of a night out), it's not something one resorts to lightly. A parent is frequently 'on' all the time. And 7 days at that, without the weekend for a break. This is especially so if the dad is not hands on (as is the case with my DH).

FeelToBeFree Fri 15-Apr-16 10:06:26

Parsley have you filled out your NQN form yet? I am looking at it and feeling a bit intimidated!

TheKingSits Fri 15-Apr-16 10:45:00

How does it work - does Norland just train nannies and then they are free to work for themselves once qualified? Also with your live-in 24/5 does she still live with you at the weekend but she's just off-duty? I'm in Scotland so not sure how easily I could get one but I would love a really highly-trained nanny as our childcare when mat leave ends, and we also both work long hours far from home.

FeelToBeFree Fri 15-Apr-16 10:53:44

I think that the NQNs have finished their degree, so are fully qualified, but don't get their "Norland Diploma" until after they have done a year's placement with a family organised through the college. During that year they have to submit work to Norland, eg meal plans, craft projects etc.

So they could work wherever they wanted but then they wouldn't be "accredited" by Norland.

However I might be wrong!

FeelToBeFree Fri 15-Apr-16 10:54:31

ps but after that NQN year they are definitely free to work wherever they want and can use any agency

ParsleyTheLion1 Fri 15-Apr-16 21:32:59

Feel I haven't finished the form yet...on the to do list for this weekend, provided I get some child free time!

TheKing yes she would still live with you at the weekend, but be off duty so be doing her own stuff (or she may be going home to her family or friends for the weekend)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now