We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

PT Nanny for 3yo with language delay

(5 Posts)
CaptainCorellisBanjo Tue 22-Mar-16 13:41:50

Hello, I'm a first time poster.

My son is three and has a language delay, partly caused by glue ear which wasn't picked up.
He is having speech therapy but he is starting nursery in September and I am keen to try and get as much help as possible before that. He currently attends a Montessori playgroup four mornings a week but he isn't getting much from it.
I am at home full time, we also have a one year old baby but I have just had the idea of hiring a childminder or nanny with experience of working with children with language delays to help me at home. We are based in north London and could be flexible regarding hours etc.

Has anyone any experience of doing this and where I might find such a person?thank you

jclm Tue 22-Mar-16 20:57:27

Would it be a nanny to look after your baby so that you can have one to one time with your three year old? I would do that, combined with more speech therapy sessions if you can afford.

Karoleann Tue 22-Mar-16 21:12:49

Having been a parent with a three year old with a language delay, I would spend the nanny money on extra private SALT therapy at home (I have a couple of SALT people i can recommend). Its unlikely you'll get a speech and language therapist who also wants to be a nanny.
Otherwise as the OP above mentioned just having a bit more time with him will make a difference.

My DS2 is now 7 and at 3 he could barely speak, legibly, its taken a few years (we think he has a language processing disorder though rather than hearing problem), but he loves doing drama productions and in the last one his speech with comparable with the other children.

CaptainCorellisBanjo Tue 22-Mar-16 22:54:24

Thank you both and I'm glad to hear your son is doing well. This is all very new to me so trying to figure out the best way forward.
We are really happy with his SALT so maybe additional sessions are the best idea.

CaptainCorellisBanjo Thu 24-Mar-16 17:54:59

I spoke to the clinic we go to and they have a lady with a SALT degree who is not yet fully qualified who works part time and they are hoping she will do some focused play session with him at home and it should be useful experience for her too.
Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now