Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help with a newborn and older siblings

(8 Posts)
thestylethatdecadesforgot Fri 18-Mar-16 14:50:42

I'm expecting DC4 later this year and playing about with the idea of having a few hours of childcare at home but I have no idea where to start. Could someone advise please?

Would someone want every day (which I can't afford) or a few times a week? I was wondering about a student on a course who needs it for work experience as I don't plan on doing it long term and wouldn't want to mess someone around who wanted a solid job opportunity.

I'd like whoever it is to be prepared to help with the other children and generally chip in with what needed doing but nothing heavy.

Does anyone have any ideas please? Or am I out of my mind...

venys Fri 18-Mar-16 18:40:22

I am about to have someone start on Monday for a similar thing. She is a nanny / mothers help and getting back into work - her son is now 12. So she is happy to be part time and flexible. The other type of person you could look for is a post natal doula - they are generally self employed and can be more expensive than a nanny but they might be trained well, can take on more tasks than a nanny would and would be used to a part time temporary arrangement. The only problem is there are less of these people available out there. Good luck I'm your quest.

thestylethatdecadesforgot Fri 18-Mar-16 21:39:12

Thanks venys, I'd thought about doulas but wondered if they would only be prepared to help with the newborn. I'm thinking about the times I'm feeding say and the others need help getting a drink or setting up with something to keep them occupied.

Can I ask where you looked for people? Websites etc. I really am clueless.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 20-Mar-16 05:20:14

I think a student would work well especially someone studying something child related and poss has children in the family they have helped with and you will be there giving direction some 16/17/18yr olds are better than some 25/30yr olds.

Contact local sixth form ask how you would go about firstly offering to have a student placed with you for a childcare course placement as if you were up for this I believe this is free as its an experience placement and then ask should you wish to look for a childcare/health studies student for after school work how would you do that

Karoleann Sun 20-Mar-16 07:58:13

If you're in London its fairly easy to just put an ad on gumtree for a temporary mother's help and see who applies, you could ask for someone who works flexible over 3 days?

It is worth contacting the colleges too, they tend to start their placements in September, but you may be lucky.

greenfolder Sun 20-Mar-16 08:08:56

I had a 17 yr old student in work placement. I'm not sure that is what you need tbh. I felt like it was another responsibility and by the end of the placement I had really had enough. It is a nice thing to do and I am glad I did but it helped them more than me ifyswim. A mothers help is what you are looking for.someone who can bundle the older ones to the park for an hour or make their tea or put a wash on. Card in the local shop?

thestylethatdecadesforgot Mon 21-Mar-16 14:52:05

Interesting views everyone, thank you. Mother's help sounds more like the right idea on balance.

In what way did you find it was more of a responsibility having a student green ? Is it just having to provide a lot of guidance or are you signing things to give evidence of competencies all the time?

greenfolder Tue 22-Mar-16 22:32:38

The hours were very rigid to fit in with college. Needed a lot of direction and it was quite hard having a 17 year old for so many hours. It didn't really give me any respite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now