Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Sick pay for nanny

(8 Posts)
Fishlegs Wed 16-Mar-16 21:24:00

Our fabulous nanny has been off sick for a couple of weeks, and will likely be off for another 2 weeks. Then at some point in the near future she will be off sick again for a longer period of time.

She has had a couple of days here and there off sick since she started with us 3 years ago. Her contract states no sick days paid, however we have always paid normally.

Last week we paid normally but this week I have had to get a temporary nanny so I have told our nanny she will have to go onto ssp.
We have a booked hol the week before our nanny comes back so will pay normally for that week, then she should be back.

Introducing the temp to dd was a nightmare but ok in the end. However the same nanny cannot do next week for us and I am reluctant to foist another new nanny onto dd so after rejigging work and calling in favours from friends and family, we are going to cope without a nanny next week.

If you have read this far, my dilemma is - do we pay our nanny ssp or normal wage for next week? I know legally ssp is fine, but what about morally? It was clearer this week as we cannot afford to pay 2 wages, but next week is different as we will only be paying ssp and not a temp nanny as well. We really value our lovely nanny and know she is genuinely ill.

PotteringAlong Wed 16-Mar-16 21:25:39

I'd pay SSP

RabbitRabbit1 Wed 16-Mar-16 21:33:34

We have been in exactly the same situation. To my mind I can reconcile paying her full wage (we also adore our nanny) when we aren't covering the cost of a temp.

That said, that's been for the odd day here and there. I am not sure how I'd feel about doing that for several weeks on end, especially if you are taking time off/making sacrifices in order to organise cover.

As an aside I found the difficulty to be addressing it with her without sounding (and feeling !) mean...

zeeka Wed 16-Mar-16 21:33:45

If you pay her, she will see how valued she is. You'll have allocated the money for the week anyway, so it won't put you out of pocket. I think it would be the generous and morally sound thing to do. Hope she's better soon smile

Fishlegs Wed 16-Mar-16 22:01:48

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes zeeka, you're right, we won't be out of pocket, and thanks for the validation, I think sometimes dh thinks I'm too soft.

We couldn't afford to pay her for weeks on end either rabbit. She knows that during her next period of sick leave we will need to get a temp and she'll need to be on ssp.

Yerazig Thu 17-Mar-16 06:09:49

Like you have when I've had the odd day off usually caught a bug from the children, my bosses have always paid. But then it literally may have been one day I've taken off over a year period. But with the amount of sick days she has taken off and may do in the future if more then 1 or 2 days I would go down the ssp route.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Mar-16 12:31:25

4 weeks off sick on full pay is a lot esp as contract says ssp

I think paying the odd day sick is fine if don't have sick pay in contract (I do) but not long term

writingonthewall Thu 17-Mar-16 21:45:53

If this is going to be long term, you may at some point need to either take unpaid leave, or pay another nanny whilst paying your nanny SSP, so you might want to consider not paying her now and saving her wages towards that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now