This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminders and mark making

(9 Posts)
howiloveanicecupoftea Mon 07-Mar-16 13:51:23

Calling all childminders! What access to mark making equipment do you make available to your mindees and how Dyou stop writing on the walls and furniture etc?

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 07-Mar-16 17:45:02

You mean chalk /paint boards and paper pencils and crayons?

And you don't let them draw on furniture and walls etc
- same as a nanny /mum wouldn't allow

A firm no and making sure not left unattended with art supplies if young

WisestIsShe Mon 07-Mar-16 19:33:26

We have a wall mounted chalk board with a pot of chalk, notepads and pencils in the shop/cafe/kitchen (whatever the role play bit is today)

Also have pens, pencils, crayons on the dining table which they can use whenever but can't be taken down.

glenthebattleostrich Mon 07-Mar-16 19:37:11

We have chalk board, paper easel. A table with paper, crayons. Pens etc.

We regularly get sand and paint our too.

And to stop them marking walls it's just supervision. And washable paint on the walls!!

Leeloo2 Mon 07-Mar-16 19:39:57

I only have 1 of those magnetic writers freely available -and sometimes aqua doodle - til the novelty wears off.

Nothing else freely available, but we do art stuff pretty much every day and I only have toddlers and a baby. I might rethink when they're older...

HSMMaCM Mon 07-Mar-16 20:33:40

Mark making freely available outside and supervised inside. Magnetic boards etc not a problem. Our garage wall is colourful grin

Maryann1975 Tue 08-Mar-16 10:30:05

We have two of those scribble pads (magnetic things) in the toy box and pens, crayons and paper on the big table all the time for the school age ones. The little ones know they don't sit at the big table (it's too high) and either ask when they want to do a picture or i set it out on a little table often enough they don't need to ask. We also get the paint out, but it's always supervised. One of the children I look after has drawn all over her bedroom walls but never done anything like that here. Maybe because there is more supervision, maybe she just knows I wouldn't stand for it but touch wood, we haven't had any problems.

Cuttheraisins Tue 08-Mar-16 12:56:23

Nothing freely available but I do take some materials out every day, it has to be at the main table they can't walk around with it.
- outdoor I have various brushes, washing up brush, large paintbrush, small roller and a washing up bowl with warm water, they use this to 'paint' the steps, path and fence.
- indoor we have stamps and inkpad (which always end up being used on hands and arms!), wax crayons, coloured pencils, felt tip pens (for older kids), and an easel with paint which is used mostly outdoors, but also indoors when the little ones are asleep. I also have the usual glitter, glue etc.

The reason why they are not out all the time is simply because I think that the children focus more on the activity if we take time to choose what they want to draw with, and help with tidying them up at the end.

kathryng90 Tue 08-Mar-16 17:27:22

Continuous provisions are
Aqua doodle on the wall
Magnetic writer in the wall
Chalkboard and chalks
Whiteboard with pens attached with string (so they only reach the white board)
Sand table

Pens pencils paint playdoh etc are on a higher table and they are taught to sit down and not wander around! Only had one incident of paint on the wall in 25 years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now