Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Will an emergency nanny look after child with hand, foot and mouth?

(7 Posts)
jclm Sat 05-Mar-16 13:05:10

I am due to start an important course on Tuesday and am worried that one or both of my children are coming down with hand, foot and mouth. Bad timing as this is the first time I've worked or done a course in nearly 3 years... Our childminder won't look after them obviously. Is it fair to ask our regular nanny to look after them? (This would be extra work, in addition to her usual hours) I'm not sure what the usual procedure is for nannies and hand, foot and mouth... Thanks x

nannynick Sat 05-Mar-16 13:15:32

Yes, as long as that nanny does not bring their own child to work and as long as they are not pregnant as best to avoid close contact (though NICE says "there are no known adverse consequences for the fetus.").

As an adult they can take precautions to prevent spread of infection - such as wearing disposable gloves to change nappy, promoting frequent hand washing, not sharing towels or eating/drinking containers.

Nanny can keep a log of fluid intake - dehydration can occur. They will also keep a medication log.

NICE: Hand Foot and Mouth, Preventing Transmission

Maryann1975 Sun 06-Mar-16 22:59:51

When you say childminder won't look after them obviously, has she said that? I cm and had a child with this recently and after researching I found it wasn't on the exclusion list unless children were actually unwell with it, which this child wasn't.
www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/353953/Guidance_on_infection_control_in_schools_11_Sept.pdf Page 5. (Also bare in mind I am quite strict on following these guidelines and on poorly children attending settings, so if child is poorly, don't send them till they are better).
But if it's Childminders policy not to care for them, that's up to her. But given that it's not an excludable illness I can't see that it would be a problem to ask nanny.

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Sun 06-Mar-16 23:57:43

I wouldn't because I caught it from a child and I was 10x worse than they had been

AndNowItsSeven Mon 07-Mar-16 00:02:05

You say " our" childminder, why can't your dp/dh look after the dc?

LimitedSedition Mon 07-Mar-16 00:04:15

Ugh, I caught that from DD and I ended up so poorly I managed to get Bell's palsy and had a fortnight off work. Nobody else got it though, I think it's fairly rare to get it that bad as an adult. I'd ask your CM first, but I reckon if not, Nanny would be ok too.

TheClacksAreDown Wed 09-Mar-16 22:09:13

I'd expect my nanny to look after the children in these circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now