This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Male Childminder Opinions

(49 Posts)
andy86 Wed 02-Mar-16 10:41:25

I currently work in childcare and am contemplating becoming a Registered Childminder operating from my home. Before I embark, I need to get a general feeling of attitudes toward males in childcare in this modern world. Would you and your partner consider a male looking after your child all day? Would you choose a female over a male? Can a male bring something a little different to the role? It's all research, so I can make an informed decision to see whether it will realistically work as a career path, purely based on being a male.

RudeElf Wed 02-Mar-16 10:44:27

Well considering i chose a male to be the other parent to my children and my children are male i dont see why i would have any objection to a male care provider. As to whether i would chose male over female or vice versa? I would choose the childminder who best suited our requirements. Whether male or female.

Lexipedia Wed 02-Mar-16 10:50:41

I'd be happy leaving my children with a male childminder. As long as they were appropriately qualified and I liked them, same as with a female childminder, I'd be absolutely fine with it.

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Wed 02-Mar-16 10:53:04

I'd be totally fine with it.

However I don't think you're going to get an accurate representation of general views here. Mumsnet is overall very liberal and posters who WOULD have an issue are unlikely to speak up. Unfortunately I suspect there are still quite a few twits who would 'not feel right about it'.

icklekid Wed 02-Mar-16 10:53:10

Yes I would be happy with a male childminder for ds although he did seem to bond with women quicker so would be more a case of seeing how he got on with any individual. Working in ks1/fs with male staff I think it is ridiculous that people would have a problem with it.

starry0ne Wed 02-Mar-16 10:55:45

My friend set up as a male childminder and yes he did struggle with pre school.. He is a LP who has FT care of his DC but yet he struggled to attract pre school though he has plenty of school age children...

You might get everyone on here saying no reason why not however I do think people are reluctant to leave pre school with a male they don't know in sole care.

Another friend childminder whose husband works along side her...Not an issue.

Cuttheraisins Wed 02-Mar-16 11:00:42

Yes. Ds is a primary school teacher and there are few of them. I am a registered child minder (3.5 days a week) and I also work in a primary school on my day off. I have met two of three couples who are child minders but not yet a man on his own. I would have absolutely no issues with it.

Cuttheraisins Wed 02-Mar-16 11:05:47

You could work with a female assistant if that would help? Depends how big your house is, and how many children you would like to look after. Lots of child minders work with assistants, I don't as I only look after two or three children a day, all little ones, no after school (just my own children). If you want to set it up as a more lucrative business, you could hire an assistant.

tinybellows Wed 02-Mar-16 11:13:00

My dd went to a male childminder from 18 months. He was completely fabulous in every way. I was lucky to get a space as he had a waiting list for preschool care.

I think it is a different dynamic to a female cm but certainly not an inferior one. The quality of the care you provide is what is important.

andy86 Wed 02-Mar-16 11:38:17

Thanks for the honest feedback. I know the world is a changing place with regards to attitudes with a broad spectrum of issues. Male childcare being one. I currently work in a childrens home and the staff ratio is around 50:50 male/female. The old timers have said there has been a great change in relation to males entering the industry the past decade. I am just trying to gather as much honest and realistic feedback as possible before I take the risk of starting my own business etc. I have posted the same message on a dad's forum to see whether males would have a problem with males looking after their children on a sole care basis. After all, we still live in a very judgmental world. It does appear that there are a large amount of people who would not have a problem with a male as long as he is suited, qualified ete.. Like someone else did mention, there will still be people out there who would still *not feel right" with having a male, and those are the ones who more than likely will not say so on forums like this. At least I know that attitudes are what I presumed -- that being one of "not bothered whether my child is looked after a male or female" attitude. I'll look forward to hearing more responses. Thanks again.

HSMMaCM Wed 02-Mar-16 13:55:14

I work with dh. We do get occasional queries about whether he changes nappies (of course he does) and when he first started there were a suspicious number of boys rather than girls applying. We have also had single mums saying it's nice to have a man in their child's life.

He's been minding for about 7 years now and we have equal numbers of girls and boys. Reputation and meeting local people had a big influence on work for both men and women minders.

In conclusion, yes it will influence some peoples thinking, but long term should be fine.

HSMMaCM Wed 02-Mar-16 13:55:44

Has not had

PhoebeMcPeePee Wed 02-Mar-16 22:42:19

Funny you should say that about number of boys minded V's girls, I currently have 10 children on my books of which 8 are boys, I've always had more boys than girls (at one point I had 9 boys no girls!) and I put it down to being mum of only boys. It's certainly lively in my house grin.
Op I know a male cm and whilst it took him a bit longer to get establish, he now has a waiting list (& Ofsted outstanding wink) and having his own child start primary school definitely helped. He's widely accepted & well liked amongst the local childminders and attends the same groups & socials as the rest of us. Go for it - there aren't enough men in our industry and IMO some children would really benefit from having a male role model.

Jesabel Thu 03-Mar-16 08:57:56

If I'm honest, I would be cautious. People who want to abuse children are drawn to careers where they have access to children, men are more likely to abuse than women, and childminders work unsupervised.

My DH is a male CM - he works on his own as I have a full time job.

We thought it was going to be a really slow process to build up a business and the reality was totally not what we expected. DH's registration came through in the late April, by the start of May the 1st person had registered (for the start of June), and in June a second person registered our other full time space to start in October when she returned to work from maternity leave. At the time we had a 3 year old so that was our pre-school spaces filled. When school went back in the August we were full for after schoolers too, and we've never struggled to fill spaces as they've become available.

Funnily enough, most of his mindees have been girls, especially the pre schoolers. And I think all of the younger ones have been from single mums too, we get quite a few people saying they like the idea of a male rolemodel.

What we did do was to market in a way which made it blatantly obvious it was a male childminder. I know some other who are listed as e.g. J . Smith and have a very neutral website/facebook/whatever so you wouldn't know. We decided that if people didn't like the idea of male childcare we didn't want to waste their time or ours so by the time someone gets in touch with us they know the score.

pigeonpoo Thu 17-Mar-16 09:54:43

I would actively seek it out actually - because my DS has an unstable father who pops in and out of his life due to MH issues. I wouldn't see a CM as stepping into his dad's shoes obviously but I do feel sometimes DS would benefit from more male role model influence.

I expect there's more like me out there these days, you may even be able to market towards people in similar situations to me?

wheresthel1ght Thu 17-Mar-16 20:08:32

My first choice childminder based on recommendations was a chap. He had excellent reviews, a fantastic ofsted review and the kids all loved him. Unfortunately he couldn't accommodate my working hours which has worked well for me because my dd adores her CM but definitely wouldn't put me off.

Quite frankly as long as you can do the job, have the references and my dd likes you I honestly couldn't care less if you had 2 heads grin

LastGirlOnTheLeft Thu 17-Mar-16 20:14:54

I don't like the idea of leaving our children with men, but my husband says definitely not! He is adamant no man apart from my dad and him mind our children. I remember reading that over 99% of child sexual offenders are male so no, I am not going to argue!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 17-Mar-16 20:22:08

My dd had a male childminder when young. We started off with his wife as the CM, he became her assistant, she left him and he ended up doing it all on his own.

Have to say though lots of the other mums used to be a bit shocked that dd had a male CM and said they would never use a man. This was ten years ago though, maybe things have changed?

Booboostwo Thu 17-Mar-16 21:14:50

LastGirl if you're going to go with statistics most abuse happens in the family so your DH and DF are the last people you should leave your kids with.

I wouldn't give a male childminder a second thought.

quicklydecides Thu 17-Mar-16 21:18:43

No, under no circumstances would I use one.

wheresthel1ght Thu 17-Mar-16 21:35:42

Boo is correct. About 97% of abused kids are abused by a family member.

Quickly why not?

Eastie77 Thu 17-Mar-16 22:14:13

I know I am being illogical but I have to be honest and say that I would not feel comfortable leaving DD with a male childminder. I'd perhaps find it easier when she is older (currently 2.5). I do recognise it is unfair as I am sure there are great male CMs out there. Very best of luck to you OP.

LastGirlOnTheLeft Thu 17-Mar-16 22:24:50

sigh I know all that! But I am sorry, you all might be ok with male childminders but we are not! They're our kids, so our rules, right(?

LastGirlOnTheLeft Thu 17-Mar-16 22:25:14

sigh I know all that! But I am sorry, you all might be ok with male childminders but we are not! They're our kids, so our rules, right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now