This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how do you get paid as a nanny if privately (not through an agency)

(10 Posts)
pushingupthedaisies Fri 26-Feb-16 14:43:20

how do you get paid as a nanny if you were employed privately (not through an agency)?
do you just pay straight into the nannys account?

also, who and how is the national insurance paid?

thankyou

Parietal Fri 26-Feb-16 14:48:57

look at nannytax.com for average rates across the UK. they also sort out the national insurance for employers

pushingupthedaisies Fri 26-Feb-16 15:00:18

nannytax.com is this not american?

Piratespoo Fri 26-Feb-16 15:03:48

No, it's very good. U.K. You also will need to pay tax, NI and soon, a pension for your nanny. They can advise you. Also payslips.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 26-Feb-16 15:04:54

Monthly bank transfer normally. You can do the tax calculations yourself or use nannytax or similar to do them for you. I used to DIY, but now you have to do a pension it's probably better to outsource the lot.

pushingupthedaisies Fri 26-Feb-16 15:07:24

oh sorry, meant to say i am nanny looking for a job independently. do i just leave the employer to pay it for me?

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 26-Feb-16 15:33:48

If employer is experienced then she'll know how it works - if she's a first timer you might need to find your way through the system together. But either way you need to make your expectations very clear about gross/net pay, NI contributions and pensions.

pushingupthedaisies Fri 26-Feb-16 15:49:51

if i expected 300npw for a four day week, what would i expect as net pay, ni and pensions, i cant seem to figure this out. thankyou

Balletgirlmum Fri 26-Feb-16 16:05:20

Yes the employer will agree a salary with you then either use a nanny tax company or hmrc's own software to work out & pay tax & national insurance deductions.

nannynick Fri 26-Feb-16 16:32:45

This factsheet may be useful to print out for any parents who are new to having a nanny. www.nannypaye.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/New-Employer-Info.pdf

Parents would pay your net wage direct to your bank account, deducting taxes from your gross salary and paying those to HMRC on your behalf, plus paying employers NI (a tax that employers pay).

You can agree on a Gross or Net salary though Gross is becoming more popular now as many jobs are now part time so a nanny could have two or more jobs in a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now