Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair issues

(7 Posts)
Emrel Thu 25-Feb-16 20:25:16

Hi all,

I'm struggling with my au pair a bit.
My issue is that today one of my kids poo-ed in the bath.
This hasn't happened in years, I realise this is disgusting but the Au Pair then made the child clean it up.
I'm a bit shocked at this, who in their right mind would allow a small child pick up her own poo and clean it up? Surely although disgusting you get the kids out of the bath, clean it up/ think of England and hose them down.
Am I wrong in thinking this is weird?

shutupandshop Thu 25-Feb-16 20:26:13

How old is the child?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 25-Feb-16 20:27:01

It depends on the age of the child I think - if it's 2 then yes, she was unreasonable. If its 4+ they should definitely know to get out of the bath to poo and so should pick it up and flush it.

Karoleann Thu 25-Feb-16 20:29:43

As previous posters have said, it depends on your child's age. I'd probably make my nearly 5 year old clear it up too.

Different nationalities have very different ideas of child rearing, which is one of the downsides of having an au pair, and why they're not suitable for sole care of an under 3. Is everything else okay with her?

TeaBelle Thu 25-Feb-16 20:29:46

Depends - if it was solid and therefore East to.clear up then a 4+ toilet trained child could do it with hands washed thoroughly afterwards
If it was an 'unwell' type poo then the adult should have done it

TeaBelle Thu 25-Feb-16 20:54:51

Sorry about the typos

ADishBestEatenCold Thu 25-Feb-16 21:31:06

"It depends on the age of the child I think - if it's 2 then yes, she was unreasonable. If its 4+ they should definitely"

I am now waiting to hear the child in question is 3! grin

Seriously though ... I do see OP says "This hasn't happened in years" so that may mean this is something that child used to do years ago (so maybe now, 4 or 5), but had (seemed to) grow out of. In that case, assuming no illness issues, I don't think it will do the child any harm to have to pick it up and flush it down the toilet. Perhaps if she does, that'll be a strong incentive not to poo in the bath again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now