Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much for daughter of a friend looking after DS

(29 Posts)
plrmummy Thu 25-Feb-16 11:54:29

A friend's daughter (11 years old) will be coming over to play with DS (15 months) whilst I get on with work each week for 1-1.5 hours. I will be in the house the whole time and it will be round about 3.30pm start. How much do I offer to pay her?

writingonthewall Thu 25-Feb-16 12:08:48

where do you live? N London I'd probably pay about £7-9 per hour to a teenager, so maybe 6-7 to an 11 year old?

QueenJuggler Thu 25-Feb-16 12:35:25

It depends on how involved you will be. If she really is looking after your child in a sole care capacity because you're head down getting on with work and won't be doing stuff like prepping food, etc, then pay her the going rate for a babysitter, regardless of her age. Which round us, is about £8 an hour.

I'd question whether that's a suitable role for an 11 year old, though?

plrmummy Thu 25-Feb-16 12:40:42

Wiltshire-Calne

Lilipot15 Thu 25-Feb-16 12:41:13

I pay £7.50 per hour for a similar situation but to a student friend of the family. I'm in the house cooking and tidying.

NickNacks Thu 25-Feb-16 13:01:46

Bloody hell at these prices.

I charge £5ph for childminding/babysitting. I'm completely amazed at these quotes shock

plrmummy Thu 25-Feb-16 13:13:59

That's more the amount I was thinking of, especially considering that my childminder only charges £3.50 an hour.

ImperialBlether Thu 25-Feb-16 13:15:48

You're working at less than the minimum wage then, NickNacks.

AStreetcarNamedBob Thu 25-Feb-16 13:16:22

I'd give about £5 an hour. I'm sure she will be thrilled with that.

NickNacks Thu 25-Feb-16 13:17:59

I'm self employed, minimum wage is not relevant. And unless the Op is employing this child then it's also irrelevant. Plus she's only 11!!!

writingonthewall Thu 25-Feb-16 13:21:13

your childminder has other children and isn't coming to your house. This girl is coming to your house for sole care. please tell me you weren't going to pay her £3.50 an hour! you've got to take into account her travel time too for such a short session. I'd offer £10 for the hour and a half.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Feb-16 13:30:28

You will be leaving a 11yr in charge of a baby??? shock

I wouldn't do this. Regardless if you are in the house - it's different siblings playing with a baby. Not another child /stranger from another family

And certainly wouldn't be paying them £7ph

There isn't a nmw for 11yrs. Does this tell you something?

lovelynannytobe Thu 25-Feb-16 13:35:07

I think my 12yo would be really chuffed with a tenner for an hour and a half. I would be careful though ... she's only 11 and the legal minimum working age is 13 (my daughter is counting down the days until she will be able to do a local paper round).

plrmummy Thu 25-Feb-16 13:42:34

No I wasn't going to pay her £3.50 as you rightly pointed out that she is coming here rather than DS going to her house. I was just trying to give some context. Considering that £3.50 is the going rate for a childminder, £7.50/hour sounds a bit much for paying someone looking after DS in my own home whilst I am there.

Cindy34 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:44:54

OP is still in the house. £5-7 for each visit may well be accepted, depends what the child is wanting in terms of pocket money for doing this semi-supervised task.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:45:00

Probably 5 an hour. Cm are 4 an hour around here, and while it's not the same situation that gives am idea of going rates.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:45:32

I don't know any 11 year olds so can't comment on suitability.

cestlavielife Thu 25-Feb-16 13:49:18

i dont think you will get 1'5 hours free- every five to ten minutes your child be looking for you if they know you are there. or the 11 year old will want something.
i've had nannies and carers and if i am in the house i cannot shut away for 1.5 hours. unless you pretend you are going out and so the child thinks you not there...which wont work as you need to supervise the 11 year old.

if you plan to completely shut yourself away then you need to pay proper rates to a proper babysitter. .

cestlavielife Thu 25-Feb-16 13:49:50

if you can work in ten minutes bursts then yes it might work

cestlavielife Thu 25-Feb-16 13:50:58

if you can work in ten minutes bursts then yes it might work

Lilipot15 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:53:44

Our student minds both of mine (two and 8 months) for periods whilst I am in the house, hence £7.50. Often times she has charge of one in one room and I am getting 1-1 time with the other, eg toddler "helping" me cook. Worth it for me to feel that both of them are getting quality adult time (she is excellent) at a time of day when I feel frazzled.

Lilipot15 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:55:18

But then again a friend of mine has a 12 year old neighbour come in to do similar to us and she doesn't get any money at all! I think the idea is that the youngster sees it as an investment for future babysitting jobs!! And I guess it's experience in the long run.

QueenJuggler Thu 25-Feb-16 13:56:11

I have to say I think this is a crazy idea. You're either there, and she's acting as a helper and you're doing the primary caring, or you're not "present" and she's in charge. At 11 years old. Bonkers.

Pinkx3 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:57:29

My DD is 11 and she'd happily play with a young child to help out a friend for free so I'm sure giving her £5-£7 for the time she is there is plenty!

Does it have to be at this time specifically? Just wondering if you could fit the work into ds nap times if he has? I'm not sure I would trust an eleven yr old to be in charge...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now