This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies interviewed by VIPs what have you worn?

(12 Posts)
Yerazig Wed 24-Feb-16 15:58:30

Hi I have a few interviews lined up in which it would be working for a vip family. I've always worked for "normal" families so always gone for smart casual. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips please.

nilbyname Wed 24-Feb-16 16:04:26

Cape,
Swishy skirt
No nonsense blouse
Umbrella
Carpet bag
Hat with a flower on it
Hair in bun
Plummy vowels

Catnuzzle Wed 24-Feb-16 16:05:59

nilby 😀

littleladyluna Wed 24-Feb-16 18:09:08

Dress, cardi, tights and flats. Means I look smart but not businesslike. Good luck.

nilbyname Wed 24-Feb-16 18:24:55

Ok- sensible answer-

Skinny trousers
Leather brogues
Smart blouse
Warm slightly tailored coat- like a pea coat or duster coat.

Or
Wrap dress
Cardigan in contrasting colour with sleeves pushed up
Tights
Small heel court shoes

With both- a large tote bag with any paperwork you need, pad, pen.

Minimum Jewlerry, clean short nails, groomed hair in a smart pony tail or in an simple clean style. Fresh faced makeup- look at bobbi brown tutorials on you tube for ideas.

Good luck!

Yerazig Wed 24-Feb-16 18:42:09

wink nil** love the first answer
Thanks for the tips.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Thu 25-Feb-16 07:48:05

In my experience the vip doesn't do the interview. You will be interviewed by the pa or previous nanny.
I would just wear what you usually wear to interviews. In my case probably skinny trousers, brogues, smartish top. Not too much make up.

GrinAndTonic Thu 25-Feb-16 08:04:49

What others suggested. Nice smart casual outfit with minimal makeup and jewellery.

I have never been interviewed by the family, always a PA or other staffer.

On a different note, be careful with VIP jobs. You can get great ones or ones where the confidentiality agreement means you can't see other nanny friends (and their charges), can't go anywhere on a whim, have to look after the VIP friends children when you go away with them (for no extra pay and for ridiculously long hours), have to delete your personal facebook/twitter/instagram account, have to dress a certain way (e.g like a friend so you don't look like staff or like a traditional 1930's nanny so you do look like staff). Oh then there is the paparazzi.

Yerazig Thu 25-Feb-16 08:25:25

Yes will be interviewed by their pa..I've been a nanny for years and years now so definitely aware of the differences that arises with working with a celeb/vip and the nightmare that it could potentially be. So definitely going in with open eyes. Thanks guys smile

Rainatnight Thu 25-Feb-16 08:29:50

Do people really not interview the person who'll be looking after their child themselves?! The mind boggles. How VIP can you be that you're too busy/important for that?

Best of luck with the interview, OP

Artandco Tue 01-Mar-16 09:24:58

Rain - they usually do but a pa would filter through candidates first. Pa might interview 8 people, immediately say no to 6, and invite just 2 back for interview with actually clients/ child's parents. It means those vip don't have time wasters or people just wanting to see them rather than actual job.

Rainatnight Tue 01-Mar-16 09:31:07

Ah makes sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now