Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny, holiday, bank holiday quandary

(9 Posts)
CoffeeWillAlwaysLoveMe Sun 21-Feb-16 21:07:28

Hello

I'm sure someone here will have some good advice for me.

Our nanny works 40 hours a week. 12 hrs on Mondays and Wednesdays, and 8 hours on Tuesdays and Fridays. She has 6 weeks (240 hrs) holiday a year, including bank hols. We choose 160hrs holiday and our nanny 80hrs.

I have just been filling out the holiday sheet for the year (we all have booked our hols), and have realised that a lot of the holiday hours are taken up with bank holidays that generally fall on a Monday. It seems a little unfair considering if our spread of working hours was different she would have more holiday days, and bank holidays all come out of our 160hrs. Anyone got any idea or formula how to even it out a bit?

In reality she gets an extra week at least holiday in the year as we don't ask her to work or take holiday from 23rd Dec to 2nd Jan, and there are extra days here and there. But that's by the by, would like to do things properly in terms of the contractual time off.

Many thanks for any replies!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 21-Feb-16 23:04:47

why dont you do the holiday as a 4day nanny job so that she gets 22.4 days holiday so rounding up to 23, take off bh and then split the remainder 50/50

CoffeeWillAlwaysLoveMe Mon 22-Feb-16 07:55:19

Could do. As she works different hours on different days we were advised to do the holiday in hours. We originally had it as days like you suggest but we were advised to include the bank hols and put it into hours. I was wondering if we should just even out the bank hols and count them as 10hrs rather than 12 or 8...? Or just 8.

redhat Mon 22-Feb-16 07:59:22

I'm an employment lawyer. If she works 12 hours on a Monday and she takes a monday as holiday (either because you've allocated it or she's chosen it) then she gets paid for 12 hours and you reduce her entitlement by 12 hours.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. You can actually allocate all of the holiday if you want to.

Girlscout1910 Mon 22-Feb-16 09:01:36

Could you add extra hours to her leave entitlement that have to be taken on bank holidays

Balletgirlmum Mon 22-Feb-16 09:05:07

It's just the way things go. If you work p/t & eork Mondays then you end up with less holiday days to choose if your workplace closes on bank holidays as my office does.

We also close for two weeks at Xmas which I have no choice about. It's not just nannies who don't get a choice.

CoffeeWillAlwaysLoveMe Mon 22-Feb-16 10:24:50

Ok, thanks for your help everyone. I think she will probably end up with a few days extra holiday off the books, we've gone over our 160hrs when bank hols are included. Just want to make sure she gets to choose her full 80 hours.

CoffeeWillAlwaysLoveMe Mon 22-Feb-16 10:26:22

Girlscout1910 - I think that would be a good plan next calendar year, thanks.

nannynick Mon 22-Feb-16 14:14:11

Why do you choose 160 hours and your nanny only chooses 80 hours?

It would be more common to do a 50/50 split on the choice, though that choice would usually be after taking off the bank holidays, which is possibly what you have done (see calculation below).

I agree that the holiday needs to be calculated in hours, not days. You are choosing for her not to work on a Bank Holiday Money so you are dictating those days are not worked - which is perfectly reasonable to do.

Assuming you are in England, then during 2016 there are 5 Bank Holiday Mondays, so in your case those are worth 60 hours. There is then New Years Day (Friday 1 Jan 2016), Good Friday and Xmas Day Substitute (Tue 27 Dec). So those would use 8+8+8 = 24 hours. So total of 84 hours used by bank holidays.

240 - 84 = 156 hours. Nanny then chooses 80 hours and you choose 76 hours.

Perhaps it could be 78 hours choice each but that would need their agreement (as I expect the contract is worded such that it says two weeks of nanny's choice). It may not be any better than the solution you currently have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now