Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you be worried?

(48 Posts)
slummymummy98 Sat 20-Feb-16 04:06:37

We have a new au pair, she has worked two days with us and has the weekend off.

[identifying information removed as OP's request - MNHQ]

Last night, I told her she was free to go out that night and take our car to go into town. I said no problems if she was back late, I would leave the back door open.

She never came back last night. Late this morning, I sent her a text asking if she would be back for dinner and if so what she would like to eat. No response. I tried calling in the afternoon, and the phone wasn't answered.

Hubby looked through the window into her room and said all her stuff is gone.

Should I be worried or is this normal behaviour on a weekend off? It's our car, and our phone, so I'm a bit concerned she is AWOL. She knows the area well and has friends so I don't think she's lost or anything.

RubyChewsDay Sat 20-Feb-16 04:09:35

It does sound quite worrying really. Has she taken everything, as in the room is bare?

slummymummy98 Sat 20-Feb-16 04:18:02

Yes, the only things in there are the furniture and the sheets etc we provided. She only had one big case, but it's gone and there's no personal effects or clothes.

icklekid Sat 20-Feb-16 04:20:59

Do you have references number? I would be tempted to call to see if she has done this before (not been in contact ) did she say where she was going? If she's only got 1 bag maybe she packed it to visit a friend but is odd not to have told you /taken the car...

Hamsolo Sat 20-Feb-16 04:21:10

No toothbrush or anything to suggest she's coming back? How strange.

I think you need to phone the police. Both out of concern for her safety, and also because it's possible that she has deliberately taken your property and isn't planning to return.

Woodenmouse Sat 20-Feb-16 04:21:34

That sounds very strange! Why would she take everything with her if she was just going out for the night?

Rainatnight Sat 20-Feb-16 04:28:43

Wow, that is weird. Has there been any sign that there was anything up before now?

slummymummy98 Sat 20-Feb-16 04:34:43

Well, she's only worked the two days and been under constant supervision so far (I worked at home one day, my husband the next). We had to let our last live in nanny go, and she left rather than serve the notice period so we needed someone fast so I didn't have to take any more time off work. A few people messaged me on Facebook recommending her, but I didn't ask her for the number of her last family or references for back home-- stupid me was just happy to have found someone at short notice. Not through an agency, hired her myself via social media.

Rainatnight Sat 20-Feb-16 04:41:02

Ah, sorry, I'd missed the bit about only having been there two days? How well do you know the people on Facebook who recommended her? Could you ask them if she has form for anything like this?

Rainatnight Sat 20-Feb-16 04:42:47

Ah sorry, I'd missed the bit about her only having been there for two days.

How well do you know the people on Facebook who recommended her? Could you ask them if she has form for anything like this?

Rainatnight Sat 20-Feb-16 05:08:31

Anyway, I think you should ring the police.

Muddlewitch Sat 20-Feb-16 05:19:10

I think you should probably ring the police too, as her things have gone.

Muddlewitch Sat 20-Feb-16 05:20:15

Have you messaged her on social media/had a look on her page for any clues as that's how you found her?

ICJump Sat 20-Feb-16 07:02:20

Has she taken your car? I'd call the police.

Duckdeamon Sat 20-Feb-16 07:07:04

I would call the police too.

Karoleann Sat 20-Feb-16 07:56:11

I would send another text "Really worried about you, please call us before we call the police. Concerned it will affect your VISA if we do call police".

SavoyCabbage Sat 20-Feb-16 08:02:16

That's a good text. I'd send that.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 20-Feb-16 08:03:01

I think she has stolen your car! Why would she take all her belongings on a night out otherwise?

I think it is reasonable to quickly check her room to confirm that she has taken everything, then phone the Police.

rusticmeadowwildflower Sat 20-Feb-16 08:03:45

Yes, send the text but how odd

Footle Sat 20-Feb-16 08:17:15

Police definitely. She's probably stolen your phone and car, but in any case you need to know what's happened.

jollyjester Sat 20-Feb-16 09:03:19

It doesn't sound good.
I hope she is ok and has a good excuse or else it does just sound like shes stolen your car!

Only1scoop Sat 20-Feb-16 09:07:49

Yes I'd be worried

I'd be reporting my car stolen aswell

Thank goodness you found out what she's like before you left her with your children

HSMMaCM Sat 20-Feb-16 09:51:39

Has she gone to stay with a friend for the weekend? A bit strange not to let you know and to take everything though, so I suspect not.

Muddlewitch Sat 20-Feb-16 10:22:10

I like the Visa text.

Based in the fact her stuff has gone I'd be assuming shed stolen your car and calling the police tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now