Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair and car insurance

(8 Posts)
nottoallyenjoyingit Mon 15-Feb-16 20:23:12

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Have bought a super cheap car and was hoping to insure our au pair on it- we live out in the sticks with no public transport. However... She's 20 and only passed her test last year. We're getting quotes of £2000+ shock

FishWithABicycle Mon 15-Feb-16 20:30:27

Have you tried one if the insurance deals where you get a logging device that tracks time of day and only insures for daytime driving? These can be much cheaper as a huge proportion of accidents involving younger drivers are at night.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 16-Feb-16 08:12:00

Fish's idea may work.
I know it is a bit after the horse has bolted, but I only take au pairs who are over 23 and have had a driving licence for at least 5 years due to the insurance.

Karoleann Tue 16-Feb-16 08:14:48

You could also try insuring yourself and then putting her on as a second driver, although I don't think you're going to get it down by that much - sorry.

We state over 22, with over 3 years driving experience and no accidents/endorsements over that time. Ours have always been under £500 for the year.

FishWithABicycle Tue 16-Feb-16 09:29:47

This is also a bit stable-door-after-horse-bolted but I have also read that it's often cheaper to insure a more expensive car as cheap old bangers are statistically much more likely to be driven carelessly.

Are you getting this car for her as an employee perk to give her free and easy travel when off-duty, or as a means of transport for her to convey your children around? If it's the latter then it may be better to keep the money for taxi fares and bus tickets as your children will then be a lot safer than being driven around by an inexperienced driver. Premiums are high because experts reckon there is a significant chance she will have an accident in the next 12 months. You don't want your kids in the car when/if that happens.

nottoallyenjoyingit Tue 16-Feb-16 22:22:56

Thanks everyone. Yes in hindsight an older au pair with more driving experience would have been better!! But she is great and we had a very short time period to find her so happy that we have her iyswim despite the high insurance. Lesson learnt through for next time!!
We've bought a 53 plate Clio and now that we are a three car family (shock we've gone through admiral multi car insurance. The monthly cost is relatively high but is I suspect on a par with oyster card etc.

We live out in the sticks- there are two buses a day to the nearest town so no good- she will use the car to travel to language classes. When/if she feels comfortable driving the children we may go down that route but not currently.

Thanks for all your help

FishWithABicycle Wed 17-Feb-16 06:16:05

Perhaps if you can afford it pay for her to get a few advanced-driving / pass-plus lessons before she starts driving your children?

citytocountry Wed 17-Feb-16 12:27:04

Agree with the over 23 thing next time.

Also agree on getting her a couple of driving lessons when she turn so somebody who is not family can show her the English ropes.

NB check that your personal No Claims Bonus will not be affected if she has an accident, and also what the excess is. Admiral lumped an additional excess on ours for under 25 drivers (we discovered after ours crashed our main car last year - £600. Ouch).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now