Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny looking for some advice

(18 Posts)
Nanny2016 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:14:46

Hi all,
I am a nanny working 4 days per week/11 hours a day.
I am having a meeting with my boss tomorrow evening, we have regular catch ups as we don't get to catch up during the working week.
Even though it's a regular occurrence, I still panic every time, incase something isn't going too well!

Anyway, there has been talk of my littlest charge attending nursery 3 mornings a week towards the end of the year and I plan to ask her more about this, especially what they plan to do with me!

Am I right in thinking that I don't have to take the offer of reduced hours?
My contract states this -
5.2 Your Employer has the right to vary your working hours and days and resultant pay in accordance with the needs of the family

I would just like to be clear before we have a chat about it, at this stage I know anything can change by the end of the year but I would like to have an idea of their plans!

Any advice on this would be great!
Thanks in advance.

QuiteLikely5 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:21:05

That clause states they do have the right of course you can say no and look for another job

writingonthewall Mon 15-Feb-16 14:32:57

Doesn't help now but never sign a contract with that clause again. She's likely to want you to take Unpaid leave in the middle.of the day, you may need to leave.

Thethingswedoforlove Mon 15-Feb-16 14:36:26

I wd think your dboss is more likely to want to agree what you will do during that time. My nanny used to do washing/ ironing/ cooking and tidying of room (all for dc) when they were at pre school / achool. I wouldn't have risked losing her for the sake of a few hours' pay.

Nanny2016 Mon 15-Feb-16 14:54:22

Thank you all for your replies!

Writingonthewall- there is a few clauses in the contract that make me a bit wary, I really wish I had taken more time to read through before signing!! Such a silly mistake but I will make sure I understand every point in my next contract!

Thethingswedoforlove - that's what happened in my old job and of course I would be more than happy to do jobs around the house as I do now and more if needed, I hope we can come to this sort of agreement!
Thanks again!

Karoleann Tue 16-Feb-16 08:13:07

Even if something is in your contract you can't opt out of statute law.

If they were to say that they were no longer willing to pay you for nursery hours and you didn't agree, they could either make you redundant (and pay redundancy if you have been working for over 2 years) or pay you for your notice period.

Its unlikely that they would manage to get someone else who was willing to not be paid for those three hours in the middle of the day. I think as long are you are willing to go some hold hold stuff it won't be an issue.

Nanny2016 Tue 16-Feb-16 08:36:34

Thank you for your reply!
More than happy to do household stuff, will have a chat about it tonight just so I know what to expect!
Thanks again!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 16-Feb-16 11:24:50

It's worth having a plan of action. Some people can be completely obtuse and think that because a child is in nursery for 3 hrs that means you have 3hrs free? Completely leaving out the travel time back to the house to pick up domestic tasks, and the travel back for 12.30 or whatever.

Be clear on what's acceptable if they effectively want you to start work when nursery ends. Can you be available at short notice if their child is ill ? What happens when the nursery closes especially if its a school nursery as that's 12-14 weeks a year.

I know a family who agreed to reduce hours - effectively the nanny became an afterschool nanny but worked a bit later in the evenings, was full-time during school holidays, and was not on-call for health emergencies. They altered the hours and then averaged her salary over the year so she had a guaranteed income coming in. I think she did a PT course or looked after a preschooler in term time only for a teacher. Seemed to work very well.

SitsOnFence Tue 16-Feb-16 11:34:07

I imagine they'll be broaching the subject of whether you'd be prepared to do some ironing or general housework.

I think you/they will find that there is not as much 'free' time as you would think. Even if the preschool is only 10 mins away, you will want to leave 15 mins before the session starts to ensure you are on time, and the same for pick up. Then factor in tidying up any toys/craft that has been left out, preparing activities/snacks for the afternoon (all things you'd usually do as your charge plays at home), and you've probably got less than 2 hours left for housework.

Sadly, due to the way your contract is worded, they can compel you to change your hours. What they can't do is stop you looking for another job or, quite probably, find anyone to replace you on that sort of contract.

Nanny2016 Tue 16-Feb-16 11:41:32

Thank you both, I'm going to be completely honest about not being able to cut my hours and see how it goes!
They are nice people and I don't think they would force me to change hours, and like you have said I can look for another job and leave!
Fingers crossed all goes well!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 16-Feb-16 12:15:16

More than one child? I suspect it's about doing some housework.

SitsOnFence Tue 16-Feb-16 13:54:58

Of course they might just announce that they're expecting another one!

Thethingswedoforlove Fri 19-Feb-16 20:15:19

So what happened nanny

Nanny2016 Fri 19-Feb-16 20:42:38

So, We had a chat about what would be happening, I explained that I am not able to cut my hours and remain on call, if a cut of hours occurs she knows that I will have to find another job or fill the spare hours with a job and therefore cannot be on call for holidays/illness etc!
We haven't decided on anything but I think my hours will stay the same!

All was ok and I have been worrying over nothing again!
Thanks for checking back!

Thethingswedoforlove Fri 19-Feb-16 21:02:36

Ok great!!

affogato Mon 22-Feb-16 10:01:01

A nanny happy to chip in at home is like gold dust. They should be super thankful!!

Nanny2016 Mon 22-Feb-16 10:14:35

Thank you, more than happy to help put around the house, little one still naps at the moment so try and do a few jobs then once I've eaten lunch! X

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 22-Feb-16 10:15:16

Nice one.

If they are not planning more children and you would like to stay working for them, it's worth being proactive and starting to explore your options. Speaking as a parent/ex nanny employer unless you earn mega bucks, childcare is a massive part of family expenses and once your children start at school a FT nanny starts to look like an enormous luxury [out of your taxed income].

I've seen a nanny share work well where the "share" is with a family that only need term time care, so you would be solo charge of theirs during school holidays. So for your current family little changes.

Ditto with the shift in hours towards a later day. Not for all nannies though.

A nannyshare with a baby/toddler can also work well but it's good to work through the logistics very carefully. Who's house do you start at in the morning / spend the day at / finish at? ie - who's home is taking the wear and tear and how are the families "sharing" the logistics of drop offs and pick ups. How do you juggle activities/playdates during holidays with disparate ages? etc etc . Where it doesn't work is where the previous nanny employer starts to feel hard done by because your sole focus is not on them any more so they have the cost of a nanny [albeit a reduced one] but still end up with a child in the "wrong" location at the end of their working day etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now