Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair pocket money / hours

(5 Posts)
Luckymum04 Sun 14-Feb-16 20:00:47

I've decided to look for an au pair. I have 4 kids, 1 teenager and 3 kids that I would like help with, age 5,3,1. The 2 youngest are in nursery full time and obviously 5 yo at school.
Dad works shifts and I'm at uni and we also run a seasonal business. I'm thinking 25/30 hours pw but this may increase on days I'm at uni, dads working and a child is sick...
I do not expect the aupair to do all the cleaning but certainly help out a bit which will be stated in my ad.
I live in Lancashire and I'm wondering what people currently pay ( especially outside of London)
Also if they were to do an extra 6/7 hours in a daytime how much extra you would pay x

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Feb-16 09:10:55

What duties are you expecting the au pair to do in 25-30hours. Before and after school seems to account for about 22.5 hours a week if 3hours after school and 1.5hours before school each day.
Often outside London pay is higher as it is a less desirable location.
I am Home Counties my AP does between 9 and 19.5 hours per week with one 12 year old, 2 hours are cleaning one hour is ironing. She gets £85 per week, £10 per month mobile phone top up, has access to a car which I out one tank of fuel in per month, tax, insure and maintain.

Luckymum04 Mon 15-Feb-16 13:24:31

I'm looking for 1.5 hours before school and 2 hours afterwards I will then be home but when dad is working I would like her to play with the one year old for example, while I put the 3 and 5 yo to bed. I would like some hovering downstairs and help with the dishes but obviously not her doing it all. Don't want ironing or heavy cleaning doing.
If one of the kids is off sick ( I'm not talking about extremely sick) I would like her to look after until someone can get home (could be up to 4 hours depending on work - this is for 3 days of the week, though only term time. It is obviously a lot cheaper here going out, drinks, food taxis and we are in an ideal location to explore the Lake District Liverpool Manchester etc. How much more do people pay in the north?

Karoleann Tue 16-Feb-16 13:41:33

Lucky - hours etc look fine. I pay an extra £6/hour over 27 hours.

Outside of London pay will be similar across the UK, as au pairs looking on au pair world won't appreciate the differences in north/south economics although you could use that as a selling point for you! You'll also need to offer her some kind of transport if your transport links aren't very good.
If you're looking at 30 hours then it will be around £90-£100/week.

catbasilio Thu 18-Feb-16 21:04:43

I am in greater London and I pay £90 per week, £4/hour extra if care is needed between 9am and 3pm (inset days etc) and £5/hour extra for weekends if needed. I also buy bus travelcard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now