This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

No insurance cover for play dates

(4 Posts)
breadandbutter1012 Sun 14-Feb-16 18:24:06

Hi everyone
I nanny for school aged children. So next week being half term the children each have a friend coming to play. There will also be another day when MB has a friend with children staying. MB has asked me if I mind caring for friend's children when she goes for a run. Now all this is fine by me. Quite normal for school aged children to have friends to play.
But I have just checked my nanny insurance policy and it seems I am not covered for these additional children? The policy states 'minded' children are covered. 'Minded' children are children the nanny is contracted and paid to look after.
Has anyone any experience of this ?i plan to ring insurance company tomorrow and wonder if anyone has paid an additional premium to cover themselves.

nannynick Sun 14-Feb-16 18:31:09

Have come across it but have not been able to find an answer to it. Similar problem occurs when a NWOC (nanny with own child) is working... is their own child covered by any insurance, the nannies or the parents?

For playdates the home contents insurance I believe would provide some liability cover for the home owner. So if anything was to happen, then that could be looked at.

Probably best just to make sure nothing bad happens. Avoid children using the trampoline or other equipment which is known to be a risk.

breadandbutter1012 Sun 14-Feb-16 18:37:25

Thank you Nic. Yes I have already thought I will try to lower risk by making upstairs and garden out of bounds. That way avoiding trampoline and outside play equipment.

Karoleann Sun 14-Feb-16 19:27:03

I'm sure my nanny contract had a clause that included the nanny having to look after friends children coming to play on an occasional basis. If yours does too - that should cover you under the current terms of your contract without having to pay extra.

I can't remember the exact wording on my contract, but it was under the duties section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now