Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How would this work? Employing registered childminder as nanny

(5 Posts)
Toomanywheeliebinsagain Sun 14-Feb-16 15:02:36

After some advice please. Currently recruiting for a p/t nanny and friend's childminder has said she is interested. She would be sole charge for me but work for a number of other families during rest of week. Do I sort a contract via nanny paye or similar for those hours or can she be self employed ? Help appreciated

nannynick Sun 14-Feb-16 15:27:50

Yes that would work.

When working for you she would be your employee. You would do PAYE. She would complete a P46 ticking box B to indicate that she has other income.
When she completes her tax return, she would complete the Employment (due to working for you) and Self Employment (due to working as a childminder) pages.

Yes, NannyPaye or any nanny payroll company will be able to assist you with doing the payroll and contract.

With regard to registration with the childcare regulator, that will depend on which country you are in. In England, Ofsted already register Childminders on the Voluntary register - she should check via the Ofsted website of the categories she is registered to provide care. She would also need to contact her childcare insurer to arrange suitable insurance cover for nannying.

Insurance wise for you, check your Home Contents policy to see if it covers a domestic employee - many do but some have removed that cover to help reduce cost. If it is not there, then contact your insurer and see if it can be added. If not an option, then you can get employers insurance separately from Morton Michel.

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Sun 14-Feb-16 15:37:25

Really helpful. Thanks.
I guess there is no way she could stay self employed and as sole charge? I absolutely do not want to do any thing Illegal.

nannynick Sun 14-Feb-16 17:14:05

No, as you are telling her when to work, what to do. It is not like ad hoc babysitting where she decides on each booking if she will turn up or not. If a babysitter does not turn up, you have no come back, you just don't get them to babysit again. With a nanny you want the reliability, you want to be able to tell them what to do - even if you don't exercise that right very often you still want to retain that right.

Depending on the amount of salary involved the reporting of earnings to HMRC may not be that hard. You have not given any indication of what the workings hours or pay would be, so hard to know what will and won't apply.

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Sun 14-Feb-16 19:14:06

It's 2.5 days. I'm very happy to have her on contract

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now