Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

hours being cut.

(12 Posts)
auntie2bee Thu 11-Feb-16 11:10:12

Hi all, I mind 2 children in their own home(in Ireland)one in free playschool year, the other going to play school 2 mornings a week. I drop them to school and collect them also if not in school I mind them full days. Parents now want to cut my hours. Can they do this? I'm on call if they're sick.

writingonthewall Thu 11-Feb-16 12:10:30

Don't know if legislation is different in Ireland but basically they would have to make you redundant from current job if you can't accept the cut in hours. They can't demand that you accept it, however you may want to negotiate e.g. a higher hourly rate in return for less hours? If you are on call when the kids are at school then you need to be paid in full for those hours or they are taking the piss!

writingonthewall Thu 11-Feb-16 12:10:45

ps you could offer to do cleaning/ironing when kids are at school

auntie2bee Thu 11-Feb-16 14:15:15

Thanks writingonthewall, I would have thought I should get paid for the 3.5 hours as I bring them to and from playschool. They asked would I sweep the floors make kids beds and do a small bit of shopping which I agreed to but now they've changed their minds about it. They have a cleaner in once a week.

writingonthewall Thu 11-Feb-16 15:49:44

if you are on call then you are paid. End of story. They won't find anyone of good quality to be on call unpaid so hold your ground on this

(and I say this as an employer not a nanny!)

writingonthewall Thu 11-Feb-16 15:50:21

if you agree to be unpaid during this time then you need to make it quite clear that you aren't available, and if they call you when the children are ill you should refuse, to make the point.

auntie2bee Thu 11-Feb-16 16:36:45

Thank you so much writingonthewall, I'm going to say that too them about not being available if not being paid. I've always been reliable on time etc. If they need extra hours and I can help out I do it. Am just feeling disappointed and quite cross about all this.

Cindy34 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:28:25

Preschool I guess is not all year round either, so would they want you all the hours during preschool holidays?

auntie2bee Thu 11-Feb-16 19:31:26

Yes they would want me all the hours during the holidays Cindy34

Cindy34 Thu 11-Feb-16 23:48:27

Not unreasonable to expect to be paid then. Not as though you can get a job elsewhere to fill the time.

auntie2bee Thu 11-Feb-16 23:56:32

That's what I'm thinking Cindy34, dreading going to work in the morning as I hate making a fuss but I know I have to stand up for myself in this case.

writingonthewall Fri 12-Feb-16 13:24:11

Just be aware that they will not easily find someone to do what they want you to do.

I would go in with solutions, then you are being reasonable.

1) do housework in those hours
2) a higher hourly rate the rest of the time then lower hourly rate as a retainer those hours, paid more if you have to collect from school (you'd have to do some maths on this one)
3) I can't think of a third!
4) make you redundant and put them into full time nursery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now