Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should I put something about Prevent into my safeguarding policy?

(8 Posts)
januarysnowdrop Mon 08-Feb-16 10:29:16

Any thoughts on this, fellow childminders? I've actually got two whole hours to myself this morning with no children (this NEVER happens) and thought I'd look through my childminding file and update anything that needs updating (haven't been Ofsteded since 2012, so I guess they could come at any time).

I've done Prevent training, but am unclear whether they expect something formal written into a policy or whether it's sufficient to just be knowledgeable about the issues if they ask me.

Not that I think it's terribly likely that any of my mindees are about to run off and become jihadis, but I'd like to cover all bases.

HSMMaCM Mon 08-Feb-16 14:08:13

It is sufficient just to be knowledgeable, but I found it easier to have a written policy, which the inspector could chat to me about.

Loulou2kent Mon 08-Feb-16 14:09:40

My understanding is that you should mention it. It is part of the safeguarding policy. If you mention it, just make sure you know it well & can elaborate on it if Ofsted were to ask.

bigdonna Mon 08-Feb-16 16:25:50

hi i just had an inspection last week.i was asked questions on extremism and spotting the signs,but i wasnt asked for a policy

bigdonna Mon 08-Feb-16 16:26:49

oh forgot to mention i have no children on roll just starting up again the inspector stayed nearly 3 hrs.

januarysnowdrop Mon 08-Feb-16 16:34:49

Thanks everyone - I see from doing various bits of research today that I need to add a section on use of mobile phones and cameras to my safeguarding policy as well, so I think I may as well rewrite the whole thing and include everything. Plus, come to think of it, I've just done a course on child exploitation and online safety, so I might as well add something in about that.

Three hours?! With no children to observe?! Crazy.

HSMMaCM Mon 08-Feb-16 18:23:17

You might also need to mention data protection with your mobile phone policy.

Maryann1975 Mon 08-Feb-16 22:18:37

I've put a bit on prevent into my file. Our county have a county wide safeguarding policy so all settings are expected to use the same policy and the is a section on prevent in that but I've also written a bit of my own to show I understand what it is all about. I've been told ofsted are really hot on prevent and safeguarding in general so figure I can't have too much information written down about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now