This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it just me or...

(66 Posts)
ConvenientTruth Thu 04-Feb-16 17:25:20

Is this ad on Gumtree a little odd? Can anyone think of a good reason for so much emphasis on what the au pair looks like?

----
Hi, we are looking for someone who is self -confident and fun to help us run our lovely home, and also possibly assist us in running our fast growing Photo- Business, so if you fancy a change and and are looking for an exciting opportunity and really different fun job read on.

This is Not a Nanny or cleaning job and we already have a cleaner, but an opportunity for someone who is looking for a live-in job where there is real variety and a chance for a long term interesting and rewarding future .
Our last au-pair is still with us but has moved onto working full time in the business.

We are looking for someone who has at least fair English, who is intelligent and presentable and has a good sense of humour, and who is independent and would enjoy becoming part of a very happy and very healthy life-style.

So we need general help, and this is a great job is for someone who is fit, likes looking good, takes a pride in their appearance and if possible has some computer skills which could also be useful.

You will also need to be used to and love dogs, as we have standard poodles, which we walk twice a day, the youngest of which are two black males just 2 years old.
In the photos you see our house and you will have your own lovely room overlooking the garden and your own bathroom.

The other pictures were taken in the parks where we walk the dogs including Ken wood, Hampstead Heath.

About Us:
By profession I was originally a hairdresser and makeup artist, and I like clothes, make up and going bargain hunting in charity shops, television and films.
I look after my appearance and I stay fit and have a light fun personality………… and I would like someone who shares my interests and who is also fun to be with.

My husband is an innovator and he runs the business and he is fun, intelligent and lively.

We both like to dress smartly and I am pleased to say we are fit happy healthy people.

We have a fun life and we appreciate it …….....and we definitely don't take ourselves too seriously and we laugh a lot.

You will have busy days in a fun environment, and the bonus of being free most evenings and over the weekend from about 3pm onward on Saturday.

If your CV contains recent clear photos of you, then please include that.

If your CV does not contain good photos then please send your photos in a second application.

Alternatively send some good recent and clear jpeg photographs and tell us a little about yourself in your own words.

If you have difficulty attaching photos, please reply briefly and I will let you have my email address but we will not become more involved in correspondence until we receive photos.

Please also include your mobile number and your skype as this is the best way to meet face to face quickly.

As I said for the right applicant the pay can be good and there even long-term prospects for you if you really fit in and like it here because the business is growing super fast.

We will discuss salary with if we offer you the job at the interview, which can be either in person or on skype.

We are located close to East Finchley Underground Station/shops and there is a bus stop outside our house with a quick Bus ride to Golders Green.

We look forward to meeting you........asap

My name is Teresa…. but my friends call me Terri and my husband's name is Philip

InternationalHouseofToast Thu 04-Feb-16 17:29:43

As it makes no mention of children (unless I've missed something) this really isn't an au pair post. Would be interesting to know what they have to do for this - IT skills are generally not needed for cheap admin an au pair.

DonkeyOaty Thu 04-Feb-16 17:32:44

Unusual to not mention the children or their ages when advertising for an au pair confused

I am thinking they are being a tad disingenuous, doncha think?

Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Thu 04-Feb-16 20:28:50

I have seen this offer around for years. It is just weird

nbee84 Thu 04-Feb-16 20:52:09

Yes, this add has been popping every now and then for a couple of years.

ConvenientTruth Thu 04-Feb-16 22:06:06

It's this bit I find oddest:

"If your CV contains recent clear photos of you, then please include that.

If your CV does not contain good photos then please send your photos in a second application.

Alternatively send some good recent and clear jpeg photographs and tell us a little about yourself in your own words.

If you have difficulty attaching photos, please reply briefly and I will let you have my email address but we will not become more involved in correspondence until we receive photos."

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 04-Feb-16 22:16:43

so you need to be slim and pretty or they wont use you

says not a nanny position so maybe no children?

sounds weird tbh

BlackEyedPeas Thu 04-Feb-16 23:46:33

well why do not someone apply to just check out what will happen? as an investigation journalist?

hibbleddible Thu 04-Feb-16 23:52:20

There have been previous threads about this add. It has been around for a long time. It's dead creepy, it sounds like they don't have children and are just looking for good looking young women.

fastdaytears Thu 04-Feb-16 23:55:31

Years ago when I was getting jobs on Gumtree there was an ad for an au pair for a parrot.

This is weirder though. Too many mentions of "lifestyle" and appearance for me. I'm pretty much thinking swinger/sister wife/sex slave. Yes I know those are different options so apologies in advance to all MNers in plural marriages.

Decanter Thu 04-Feb-16 23:55:55

Yes I checked to see if this was a zombie thread - weirdly familiar. I've definitely read this before.

GingerCuddleMonsterThe2nd Fri 05-Feb-16 00:06:24

Maybe they are serial killers and touting for their next victim as they always have the same "look" "typ" shock i watch too much criminal minds

But on a serious note, it's odd

knowittoowell Fri 05-Feb-16 01:46:35

That advert's been around for years...at least 10. They always had those particular requirements, mentioned not having children but instead au pair would have to help with their dogs and business. Weird. Very weird.

RudeElf Fri 05-Feb-16 01:50:44

*I'm pretty much thinking swinger/sister wife/sex slave.

That was my first thought too. They want a skivvy but theres something creepy about it too.

ConvenientTruth Fri 05-Feb-16 11:16:55

That was my thought too but I was wondering if I was the one being weird!

Karoleann Fri 05-Feb-16 11:55:55

Wonder if they have a hot tub wink

OzzieFem Fri 05-Feb-16 13:39:00

Skype sex call service, similar to those mobile phone ones but with added visual titillation? No pun intended.

BlackEyedPeas Fri 05-Feb-16 23:23:51

can someone put a link?
i want to "apply" for that position

wizzywig Sat 06-Feb-16 09:13:51

How many times did they mention fun?

Piratespoo Sat 06-Feb-16 09:47:30

Here: www.gumtree.com/p/live-in-nanny-jobs/au-pair-for-fun-and-varied-role-to-help-in-our-home-and-photo-business-close-to-central-london/1136769390

BlackEyedPeas Sat 06-Feb-16 12:31:25

Great. I will update you if i reach further in the "investigation"

Ebb Sat 06-Feb-16 13:21:10

I've seen this as before. I'm sure there was a thread on it but may have been on a nanny forum. Very strange ad. I'd assume webcam work or something although I did have an employer once tell me she never employed ugly people and I am obviously drop dead gorgeous so there are people out there like that!

ConvenientTruth Sat 06-Feb-16 15:49:22

I was in East Finchley this morning and all I could think about was 'I wonder if that's the house that the dodgy 'online photo business' is currently happening in...'

BlackEyedPeas Sat 06-Feb-16 19:07:27

so did you locate the house?

BlackEyedPeas Sat 06-Feb-16 19:17:41

if my boy feels better tomorrow, im going to drive to the location and get some details....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now