Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Child minders going through divorce - Selling the martial home

(9 Posts)
Deedee7 Sun 31-Jan-16 10:50:18

Hi, has any childminder been in a position where they are going through a divorce, wanting to keep the martial home because of their profession?
I have just found out that I need two years worth of books to apply for a mortgage. I am only 6 months in, my ex is pushing for the house to be sold Nov. I haven't enough equity to buy a house, Ive looked at rented properties in the area, but no one will consider me running a business from a rental property. I have exhausted every viable solution.
I absolutely love what I am doing, I love the children and watching them thrive, my parents are extremely happy with the care I provide with so many recommendations I now have a waiting list.
I would be absolutely devastated if this is the end for my new career, I was previously a foster carer for 5 years, that too came to a abrupt end when we split as i now need to be assessed as single carer, feel like I am the one being punished, loosing everything unable to move on whilst he still has his managerial career and new partner and wanting to buy a house together, hence forcing sale. My ex husband to be had many marital affairs, whilst I was the suppressed housewife, with no career, qualifications or friends. I am trying my upmost to move on ........but without a job and my home not sure how to.
Unable to see a way forward right now, if anyone has some advice I would be extremely grateful.

DragonRojo Sun 31-Jan-16 12:23:25

Have you got children together? How old? Will they stay with you? See what your lawyer says, but all these factors will be taken into account

Deedee7 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:45:48

Thank you for your reply!
My daughters are 20 and 22, one of which lives with me, they are dependants on me but not legally due to their ages :-)
I just wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation regards the marital home and if I could make a 'song n dance' about staying there until I have 2yrs self employed books to move on with my job (childminding) as I need a home to do so.

summerainbow Mon 01-Feb-16 22:57:40

Get good solicitors and barterister and go for spousal maintenance as you are losing your job .
For money earning see if you can work with another childminder in their house for now.
Document everything . Like the fact you can't get a mortgage.

Deedee7 Tue 02-Feb-16 10:28:01

I feel a tad more positive now thank you!,...everyone seems so negative to my plight mediation, solicitor all appears to be taking on his demands, the gloves are off now and time to shout louder!!!! Its so unjust to be left with no career (income), and home after 25 years of love and loyalty.
My new career is doing extremely well, I love it! Ive found my purpose in life, I pay the mortgage, the bills, my husband is financially free from me, so be it if his name renames on the mortgage until I'm able to get one!
All sounds good, right? I just need to believe it now and go for it!
Anyone know a good barrister in the Leicestershire area :-)

MaybeDoctor Wed 10-Feb-16 06:44:15

What a hard situation.
Consider renting 'non-domestic premises'?
Talk to your LA advisors - they won't want to lose a good setting.

jclm Thu 11-Feb-16 10:49:51

You could be a self employed nanny if it suits you. Only thing is, you could only have the children at your house for two hours a day. ( The rest of the time you could work from the parents' house) Though no one checks lol

Deedee7 Thu 11-Feb-16 17:46:14

Feel so alone and isolated at the moment, can't put into words how much I appreciate the replies Ive had :-) yes that would be an option, Thank you!!!!
Ex has filed for 'court' feel like a rabbit in the head lights.
Solicitor advises this is a positive step, the court will be interested in the financial evidence and hopefully won't want to see me jobless and homeless.

MaybeDoctor Wed 17-Feb-16 13:05:48

Look online for other examples of divorce where someone has their place of work in the marital home e.g.

B&B
workshop in the garden
studio
small catering business

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now