Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what would you pay a live in nanny, 5 days, 12 hours a day

(28 Posts)
starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 15:04:02

hi,

i am currently looking at a new nanny role & the employer asked me my salary. i dont want to price myself too low or high, my old job was live out so i know it wouldnt be the same salary.

what would you pay for
-a experienced nanny with qualifications
-one child
-12 hours a day, 5 days a week?

thankyou

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-Jan-16 15:09:53

It depends what area. If London you'll get £10-18 gross, take home about 500 a week maybe.

starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 15:12:51

london

i have looked at different agencies & it really varies from job to job

if they ask my salary, do i state 500 net per week? (it sounds alot but not when you work it out per hour)

thankyou smile

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-Jan-16 15:19:18

Do you mean if they ask what salary you want?

Don't say you already earn that as they could check.

starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 15:20:04

looking on here....

www.imperialnannies.com/LondonNannies.aspx

500 sounds cheap

starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 15:24:37

oh no laurie, they are asking me what i want

i dont want to undersell myself, or oversell myself either

starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 15:27:11

what would you expect to be paid net per week for :

a twelve hr a day role,
some babysitting,
five days a week,
in london
live in

500 too high/low?

Heirhelp Sat 30-Jan-16 15:30:14

I don't know the answer to your questions but 60 hours a week is in excess of the European working hours directive.

MuttonWasAGoose Sat 30-Jan-16 15:31:23

Whatever you do, you need to establish exactly what "some babysitting" means. I don't have any idea how things are done, but if I hired a nanny, I would be most comfortable paying an extra hourly rate for "some babysitting" but I don't have a nanny because I'm not rich and God knows rich people don't think like we do.

ColeslawSandwich Sat 30-Jan-16 15:33:55

60 hours per week sounds an awful lot OP. I think you'd want a minimum of £600-700 per week net for that.

Noctilucent Sat 30-Jan-16 15:39:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Haffdonga Sat 30-Jan-16 15:46:17

12 hours a day? shock

I hope you pay the poor person way more than the average.

Haffdonga Sat 30-Jan-16 15:47:18

Sorry misread.

I hope you get paid way more than that.

starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 15:47:27

i'm the employee haff, the employer is asking me what salary i expect and im not sure?

starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 15:48:25

no worries haff - what would you ask for?

NannyR Sat 30-Jan-16 15:58:22

Have a look on nannyjob to get an idea. I've just had a quick look and salaries were £350 - £500+, although the higher salaries were specifying degree educated nannies and travel with family as part of the job.

12 hours a day, 5 days a week is the norm for live in nanny jobs. If you work it out hourly it's not great, but I've had jobs where I've had a flat in central London, all bills included and an allowance for food as part of the package, so all in all not bad really, your net salary is just "pocket money".

Hamishandthefoxes Sat 30-Jan-16 15:59:11

500 sounds okay if it is after tax and ni and your accommodation is foc. I think live out you'd be paid a bit more £700 or so per week but accommodation would eat into a significant part of that.

Haffdonga Sat 30-Jan-16 16:00:36

Just read those jobs in the link you put. Crikey what an eye opener into another world

It sounds like 450 - 500 is the going rate but it depends on your level of experience/ qualification/ if you're a driver/ have a degree/ swimming cerificate/ or have a starched pinny, mob cap and can slide up bannisters etc.

Good luck smile

Hamishandthefoxes Sat 30-Jan-16 16:05:38

Haff- my friends in London were paying 1000 per month in nursery fees per child. If I were doing that id rather spend a bit more on a nanny and have my child/ten looked after st home!

starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 16:07:16

i am degree educated, lots of childcare experience, can swim grin , can slide up bannisters & bring out lamps out of suitcases smile

500 is what i asked for

when worked out hourly, sounds not much but it includes accomodation which would otherwise cut into a huge amount.

Haffdonga Sat 30-Jan-16 16:31:56

Hamish the comment about another world wasn't to do with people choosing a nanny over a nursery. That I completely understand. It was more to do with jealousy the adverts which state (and I paraphrase a tad) the nanny will be one of a team of six weekend nannies, working alongside the housekeeper, chauffeur and Mandarin tutor while the child is at boarding school from Monday to Friday.

nannynick Sat 30-Jan-16 18:05:31

Live in nannies can be expected to do 2 nights a week babysitting which can add 8 hours to the working week. May be argued that you are at the home anyway as you are live in but thetime is not your own.
You do need to quantify that sort of thing as it could vary job to job and it could be babysitting on evenings when you don't work during the day which may not be ideal.

Salary will vary for a live-in job. £400-£600 net (around £500-£800 gross) is possible with some offering below that range and others possibly higher.

Nannies will often care for 3 or more children, so only having one child to care for could mean a lower salary as you will more directly be competing against other forms of childcare (though not many nurseries are open 60+ hours a week).

starsandthemoon Sat 30-Jan-16 18:16:04

what would you pay someone for 48 hours nannying over four days, with two children? live in also

its so hard to figure out what to ask as each job situation is different

Akire Sat 30-Jan-16 18:28:07

whatever you decide I would get babysitting put on some sort of plan. It can easily become 3-4 nights a week at short notice and become seriously draining.

I would go with standard say 6h babysitting a week anything over is paid at X per hour. Decide how much notice you want because every Friday or Saturday night means any social life will be very restricted.

Thistledew Sat 30-Jan-16 19:15:46

You need to work it out mathematically -

1. What would be your hourly rate for a live out position, multiplied by the number of hours you will be expected to work?
2. How much would you spend on accommodation if you rented a room in a shared house?
3. Is food and other bills included? If so, how much would you budget to spend on these?

Deduct 2 and 3 from 1 to work out a base amount, then add on a proportionate sum for the fact that your quality of life may be slightly hampered by the fact you are never truly away from work, and your employer has the convenience of you always being near. Additional babysitting has to be agreed at your normal unsocial hours rate, for any time you are in sole charge outside your specified hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now