This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.
Oh heck... Should I take this job?(20 Posts)
I've been thinking about leaving my current nanny job for a while.
Main reasons are:
Very early start (leaving my house at 6:45)
Late finish (single mum, irregular hours- comes home anytime between 19:15 and 21:00- often doesn't specify when)
Charge nearly 10
has become complete madam doesn't 'need' me so much anymore.
Really funny about me planning time off- despite giving her five months notice. Prefers me to take all my time when she sends my charge to stay with her dad every August. I don't want to take the bulk of all my my holiday then.
Pays below nannying London rate
I proxy parent when she goes on her buisness trips, often at short notice- this impacts on my personal life.
So I just had an interview, literally round the corner from me, so would get to leave the house an hour later, walk to work, and be home by 6:15. The pay is better- I'd be about £250 a month better off. The kids are very cute, chatty and little. Three which would keep me busy.
She offered me the job after I'd played with the kids for a bit and we'd had a chat. In all of the nanny jobs I've gone for they tend to have a think about it after I've left. She didn't ask me many questions re first aid certificate, childcare approaches, references etc etc. She said she wants me to hand in my notice on Monday. She is going back to work after maternity with the youngest, but didn't allude to what she did, just said she is going to take 'a contract' once shed found a nanny.
Is that.... I don't know, a bit of a risk? What if I hand in my notice to my current boss (she'll go ape, I don't think she realises how flexible I've been) and then she stalls or changes her mind?!
I would never hand in my notice until I had a written offer from my next job. Other than that, it sounds ideal, and I can't imagine your current job will keep you on forever with a 10yo - presumably they'll be OK to be at home on their own soon.
Thanks, definitely waiting for a written offer. I think it just threw me off balance that she offered it to me there and then.
I think I'd still be needed for school pick ups at current job for a while, is a tube ride away from her school, but I definitely feel like more of a companion/babysitter at present
That's why I don't/wouldn't work with older children. I just feel like I'm not actually needed and not "doing proper nannying" as such. Your job current doesn't sound great at all if all is well with the new job offer once they've presented you with written confirmation of the job etc would definitely hand my notice in i was you.
I'd be wary that the new job is a bit 'desperate' and wonder why? Most employers take time to think and offer the job subject to checking references etc. You want to be on the same page routine/discipline wise. If you think it would be the right job, I'd ask for a chgat to go over things in more detail and ask lots of questions. Make sure she's employing you and willing to pay your tax and N.I etc. At the end of the day your current job sounds less than enjoyable so I'd definitely be looking to move on and if the new job doesn't work out, I'm sure you'd find something else soon.
Wait for a formal job offer and sign a contract then give notice
Tho leaving home at 645am isn't that early for a nanny - tho the working late till a possible 9pm isn't nice
Do you have contract with your present job? How much notice will she need?
Wait till she offers you contract stating a start date at end of notice period. If your present boss expects very long hours for less than going rate with no notice of extra hours and no choice when take your holidays I imagine you woulnt be knocked over on the rush to leave.
Worse comes to it you could probable stay put if it all fell through?
You are also allowed to ask questions in an interview. I'd want to find out a bit more about attitude, approach, what the heck she does!
Well, I know that- I did ask questions! But with three lively children competing for attention throughout our conversation it wasn't particularly easy!
Could you email her along the lines of saying how much you enjoyed meeting her and the children. Then say you have some questions then set them out.
Confirm hours and days
Leave and when it can be taken
Her working hours and any sole charge because she has trips away.
She sounds a wee bit desperate so just take care.
Hi, that does sound ideal. I did extra work once with an older child who was year 7. I liked the change but I honestly felt bored. They are so independent. I like the challenge of younger kids as it keeps me busier.
in terms of new job, could you set out in the contract a long notice period or something? to put your mind at ease. I do worry in the nannying world, especially if boss gets pregnant or something.in my previous job we worked together to find someone new and I gave them literally 5 months notice as I was moving. I was worried they would get rid of me with a month but they didn't. good luck!
I always ask for two interviews especially when children are present during the first, I also try my best to meet both mum and dad. This allows us all to ask and answer the all important questions, and allows me to get a feel for the parents without the children distracting us.
I would never hand my notice in without a written offer and a signed contract.
That being said, my last job was pretty much offered to me on the day, and I had to set the pace and ask for an additional interview. Turns out my old boss had missed out on her first choice of candidate when they had first started interviewing (years before) because they were slow about making an offer, so was making sure she got there first while interviewing this time!
Thanks, I think a follow up interview is a great idea. The children were all clamouring to show me things and chat and it really felt like I wasn't able to get a feel for the parents like I normally do. The children were great but their mum will be my boss obviously so I really need to know if it gels okay. Going to follow up with an email tomorrow asking her to confirm hours and pay etc.
Definitely request to meet after bedtime to Sign the contract and discuss the particulars. Find out more about her income if you can to make sure it's regular, and find out what her experience of nannies is and what she expect of you.
Hmm. Not heard from her all weekend. Surely she can't expect to me to throw in the towel at my current job on a verbal offer after one short interview?!
I just emailed asking her about nanny tax, confirmation of hours days pay etc. Also I said I have some spare time on half term when my current charge is away if she wanted to do a dry run so I can get to know their routine. Will see what she comes back with but it's making me nervous that I've got nothing more solid to go on, so I'm certainly not saying anything to my current boss yet.
I didn't take it. She offered it to me formally with a written contract BUT only wanted to declare my earrings as £10,000 and make up the rest in 'under the table payments'. I don't know how common this is?!
Hmm. Back to the drawing board!
It's fairly common, I think it's important to let parents who offer this kind of arrangement know that it is not acceptable. You did the right thing in walking away.
Unfortunately is very common there are lots of "nannies" who are happy to take cash as part of their wage and have it underclared. So when us actual professional career nannies go for interviews some parents are shocked we actually want to declare our wage. I had this last month with a mum with a baby. She wasn't willing to offer a contract and just give cash. Surely especially with a baby you want a someone very professional looking after your child. Not someone who's doing it on the side.
Exactly. Her last nanny was more than happy with a cash top up apparently. I said apart from feeling uncomfortable that it was not a legitimate arrangement (it must be against the law?!) I wasn't happy with not having a high enough 'official' threshold to make student loan repayments, state pension etc, and it would screw me over if I wanted to apply for a loan, a mortgage (not likely while we live in London but still) or needed to pass a credit check based on my earnings.... As it looks like I earn hardly anything! Also I find it a bit insulting that she wasn't going to treat me as a genuine employee the same as she presumably would be when she returned to work. I am underpaid currently but at least I know it's above board!
I did think something was 'off' about it from the start though- that's why I posted on here!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.