Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Spanish "teachers" on au pair world?

(6 Posts)
MrsFogi Thu 28-Jan-16 23:12:28

Hi I've seen lots of Spanish girls on au pair world who describe themselves as qualified teachers but explain that they need to be au pairs to get the relevant language qualification to work. Has anyone had an au pair with this profile and what was your experience? I'm wondering if they would be great at assisting with the dds' homework or if the reality is that they have a teaching qualification but have not got experience of applying the academics to reality/practised the concrete skills.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 29-Jan-16 08:31:47

I have had two both lovely I hesitate to say girls as they were 25 and 28. Both able to drive, cook, clean etc.
Neither were really actually able to help beyond supervision with homework as their English was not strong enough.
As I say both have been lovely girls, but due to Spanish higher education system neither had lived away from home. Not a big problem, but they need a bit more hand holding than say French or Italian of a similar age who have lived away from home for 3 years and are very independent.

LtGreggs Fri 29-Jan-16 08:40:46

Yes - we've had two male Spanish au-pairs who were 'teachers'. They were great. They had both just completed a 4 year teaching degree - they then needed to improve their English skills (all Spanish primary teachers have to have an English qualification, as English is taught throughout primary). Following this they then have to prepare for and pass a very competitive public exam before they are able to teach in state primaries. The slot between graduation and public exam is ideal au-pair time.

One of our guys is now an assistant teacher in a bilingual private primary in Spain, the other is preparing for his exam while doing part time work as a teaching assistant in Spain.

Also note that the unemployment rate in Spain for folk in their 20s has been around 50% - there are lots of good people around desperate for good work that might initially look like they are going for things 'below' them. Ie it's not suspicious, just an economic reality atm

DrunkenUnicorn Fri 29-Jan-16 12:55:31

We had a Spanish teacher au pair in 2012-13. She was fabulous. She had also worked in a lot of holiday clubs back home too. She went back home to do her state exams.
She helped my boys with everything. She spoke to the then 3yo in Spanish at our request and after 9 months he had fluent understanding and his speaking was pretty good too.

We have kept in touch, visited her in Spain and she's stayed here too. We would have her back in an instant if we could (even tho we no longer need any sort of childcare etc)

WeetabixExpress Fri 29-Jan-16 17:53:32

Family next door have an amazing 25 y old Male aupair. He is pretty amazing.

WeetabixExpress Fri 29-Jan-16 17:54:11

Posted too soon. Qualified SEN teacher from Spain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now