Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hiring nanny myself! Help needed for security checks.

(8 Posts)
keerthi Thu 28-Jan-16 01:13:28

Hi folks! I am just 3 months old in UK and hiring a nanny who is not much experienced/non ofsted certified. worrying about the trust concerns. I have checked some of the websites likes tinies.com etc who can provide nanny screening checks though not sure how much they actually charge for this. please help me with some ideas to assure that i have taken a safe decision for my family well being. I hope you understand my situation as a parent. Thanks a ton for reading this!

ScrabbleScream Thu 28-Jan-16 01:24:37

If you have a bad gut feeling about hiring someone to look after your children- theres only one piece of advice I can offer you: dont. They are your most prized possession after all.

keerthi Thu 28-Jan-16 01:31:11

Hi! I really do not have such a bad gut feeling here. But am just confused and would like to hear from some one who can check the candidate and confirm that I can put my trust on her. these days we can't trust anybody just like that especially when it is about your loved ones. i have only 2 options here, either i need put my baby in a daycare which is 30 mins walk from here or i need to hire a nanny which is very comfortable option. My husband would anyways be at home so there is a very narrow chance that something can go wrong.. but i strongly believe that nanny screening would make me feel relaxed and secure. just dunno how to proceed.

ScrabbleScream Thu 28-Jan-16 01:35:19

Im sure theres services online that can do it for you. Maybe ring up a couple of agencies and ask if they can recommend anyone. Is going through an agency definitely out of the question- I know some agencies offer a money back guarantee and a replacement if it doesn't work out in a set amount of time.

writingonthewall Thu 28-Jan-16 09:51:24

all the agencies do is take up references. Ask her for four references including her current/most recent employer and speak to them all on the phone. Do a DBS check. Agencies do no more than this.

keerthi Thu 28-Jan-16 11:11:54

yes. i will check the references by myself and ask some agency to do the DBS check. of course if the nanny is ok with it. thanks for all your comments.

Cindy34 Thu 28-Jan-16 13:24:42

Are you in England? If so then the nanny can obtain a DBS check if they don't have one already or if they do and it is on the update service, you can check its status online.
You can do the UK Border Agency checks yourself - simply ask the nanny for proof of id and take a copy. At least one id document needs to have a photo and one needs to have their address. Ideal documents are passport and driving license photocard and a utility bill.

amarmai Sun 07-Feb-16 23:03:18

how do you get a check from country of origin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now