Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Probably a silly question... nannies and taxis

(11 Posts)
LollyScramble Tue 26-Jan-16 16:46:02

Hi there

Tell me I'm being ridiculous, but I can't find anything on this.

If I hire a person (nanny-type person) specifically to do a school run, does that make them a taxi driver? Especially if, say, they end up including another friend in the school run?

And if so do they need to be a licensed taxi driver?

It can't be the case but I can't find anywhere that actually says what a taxi driver is. (As in, why would this situation NOT be a taxi hire.)

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 26-Jan-16 16:48:55

Errr because they arent a taxi.

A taxi is a car which accepts a fare for a journey of the passengers choice.

She may well be "taxi-ing" the child.

But her car is not a taxi.

LollyScramble Tue 26-Jan-16 16:55:25

Penny you are probably totally right, but by your definition isn't she providing "a car which accepts a fare for a journey of the passengers choice"? As I am paying her to do just that. What if she did the same for another family straight away afterwards?

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 26-Jan-16 16:59:33

Could you just take out a contract with a local taxi company? Is there a reason your dc need a nanny-type to drive them?

LollyScramble Tue 26-Jan-16 17:03:05

It's much more expensive with a taxi company. I was quoted £30 per ride minimum fare by this company:

They said they have several parents who pay that much. shock

I only need a 10 minute ride!

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 26-Jan-16 17:03:52

On thinking further, the problem may lie with the driver's insurance. S/he cannot make a profit if driving passengers - it's ok to bung your mate a fiver/share petrol costs, but being paid to drive will have an impact on her/his insurance policy.

I think.

LollyScramble Tue 26-Jan-16 17:09:55

Hmmm, but wouldn't that then apply to anyone who uses their own car to do any kind of work? Like a sales person for example?

icklekid Tue 26-Jan-16 17:11:32

Just add business use onto her car insurance and she can use it as part of her duty in employment to you

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 26-Jan-16 17:35:58

I don't think it would apply to a salesman (who would need business use cover anyway) because his job is not to drive (though driving/travel is involved), his job is to sell.

Because this person's job would be to drive, I don't think ordinary business use cover would apply - though it's worth having a look at some insurance t&c to check. Would you be employing him/her as a nanny outwith* school runs?

It's a snarly one.

*I'm Scottish. It's a word. grin

nannynick Tue 26-Jan-16 19:47:13

There could be an insurance implication and a local authority licensing implication.

I don't think they fit the criteria of being School Transport:
(from Reading Borough Council): “School transport vehicle” means a vehicle that is used for the transportation of children/social services clients under a School Transport Service (STS) contract.

They are not under an STS contract, which I presume is something that the council arranges for pupils entitled to free school transport. So I don't think it fits with that license.

I feel they need to be providing some childcare, then they are not a Private Hire or taxi. So could they take the children to your home and stay for a little while?

As a nanny I have insurance that covers the children in my care going in my car as part of my job. Problem for you is that you are not offering a nanny job unless they are providing some childcare... so solve it by having them provide some care.

I agree, it's a snarly one! Local borough council licensing department may be worth contacting for clarification as to what they consider is a Private Hire Vehicle, a Hackney Carriage and a School Transport Vehicle.
Some legislation is though it may not be that helpful.

This document is worth a read:
Private Hire Vehicle is defined as:
“A motor vehicle constructed or adapted to seat fewer than nine passengers,
other than a hackney carriage or public service vehicle or a London cab or
tramcar, which is provided for hire with the services of a driver for the purpose of carrying passengers”
" The Department would discourage licensing authorities from adopting blanket policies on particular types of services, for example a policy which requires all childminders who drive a child to school to be licensed, as often consideration of the specific facts of how a particular vehicle is used will be necessary to reach a decision."

Having skimmed that document, I would say that if they are only doing the school run, then it could require a PHV license. It doing the school run is part of providing childcare, then it is far less likely to need a license.
So get them to provide some childcare, even if you are at home yourself.

The job also needs to be attractive to someone, would anyone really only do just the school run, surely that is not viable for most people. They would be wanting to do say an hour of care which includes the school run... some will want to do quite a lot more time to make it viable for them as a job.

LollyScramble Tue 26-Jan-16 21:07:25

Thank you all, that is very helpful indeed.

Particularly you, Nick - a gold mine of relevant info!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now