Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

JOB

(11 Posts)
Kerrythomas93 Sun 24-Jan-16 22:29:12

I have been approached by a lady requiring me to look after her 10 month old son on an ad hoc basis. some days will be 9am to 9pm, others will be 5pm to 9pm and then night shifts also which are 9pm to 9am.
I'm a qualified registered nanny with 6 years experience, paediatric first aid and CRB checked. My rate is £8:50 an hour.
She is fine with what I charge but has asked me if I will do a flat rate for the over night shift, I'm happy to do that as I realise £8:50 an hour is a lot to pay if baby is asleep so I was thinking charge my normal rate from 9pm to midnight then a flat rate of £50 from midnight to 6am then back to my normal hourly rate from 6am to 9am which is when she gets home.
A lot of my family and friends have said that it doesn't sound like much, I'll be making just over a £100 for the night. I'm happy with that but I am doubting myself now, I work four days a week already for my main nanny family so I would be giving up a lot of my spare time which means it needs to be worth it financially for myself to do it.
The duties are just normal for that age group, feeding, changing, playing etc, but the dad might also be there sometimes as well (not sure why).
I just want to know is that a fair price, am I selling myself to short or am I being greedy?
Thanks for reading
Kerry

ceeveebee Sun 24-Jan-16 22:31:55

It sounds a little low. To put in context we used to pay a night nanny £200 per night (for twins tbf) and we were in the next bedroom so she didn't have sole responsibility.
Does the baby usually sleep through ie there's nothing really for you to do once asleep?

Kerrythomas93 Sun 24-Jan-16 22:34:21

Hi there, thanks for replying.
I haven't actually started yet so I'm not sue if baby will sleep through the night or not.
Although dad will be there sometimes, I have sole responsibility.
Their both doctors who work all kinds of crazy shifts so even though dad will be at home I'm guessing he will be asleep...

I'm not sure I understand. 12 hrs at 8.50 per hr is 102, so isn't your usual rate plus £50 etc exactly the same as charging £8.50 per hr through the night?

Kerrythomas93 Sun 24-Jan-16 22:42:38

I was never good with numbers LOL.
I didn't want to say higher than £50 as normally £50 is the maximum people charge for a flat rate, around here anyway.
If I said any higher it might put her off...

Audreyhelp Sun 24-Jan-16 22:46:52

I think that sounds about right .

Cindy34 Sun 24-Jan-16 23:05:36

Figures wise, are these gross? You offer the service, so you will have taxes to pay on the income plus they need to pay for your ongoing business costs, such as advertising.

Will it actually fit with your other work? Baby has a bad night, you are up every hour or even worse... when will you get some sleep yourself? Having done something similar in the past, even if they do sleep through your own sleep I found was quite disturbed as you are constantly alert to noises. Could you really go from doing a night to then doing a full on day in your day job? You won't know until you do it and it may not be that much of an issue if you have big gaps between the work. So it may depend on when these nights occur.

What figure are they looking at paying? If it were to cost them £100 would they pay that or are they really looking to pay less? After taxes and costs you may end up with perhaps £70, is it worth doing for that? Only you can judge that. Yes it is income but it also potentially deprives you of sleep. Just some things to think about.

Doesn't sound unreasonable for a 12 hr overnight rate for a fully qualified nanny.

Callaird Mon 25-Jan-16 00:12:22

You are charging her 17p an hour less if you do a flat rate of £50 for 6 hours! You might as well stick to you £8.50 an hour.

For what it's worth, I charge a flat rate of £50 but it's from 11:30pm until 7:30am but my charge generally sleeps through. When I had him last Saturday, he really wasn't well, he woke 6 times and was up for the day at 6:30 (although I stuck him in my bed and dozed for and hour while he was watching tv.) My boss paid me the over night fee plus 6 hours at full pay.

29 years sole charge experience etc etc.,

writingonthewall Mon 25-Jan-16 06:40:43

Agree with the others, I was wondering if I'd missed something! 8.50 X 6 is 48 so you're offering her only a £1 discount overnight!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 25-Jan-16 09:04:55

I was also thinking it's the same amount minus pence. Thought my brain has gone weird grin

Yes you /baby may sleep but you are in charge and tbh you will sleep with one ear /eye open / as I always do when I work nights

Is this gross ? As a 2nd job you will be paying higher rate of tax

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now