Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is there such a thing as a girl who does a bit of everything - cleaner, childcare & driver?

(17 Posts)
gabbybaby Sun 24-Jan-16 06:54:51

I'm new on here, so go easy. I don't really know what I'm looking for, so wondered if anyone could help. I have 2 girls - 6 & 9. Our house has been extended/renovated for the last 7 months, so we've been in limbo, but now coming to the end of the project and need to sort ourselves out. Currently, my mum & childminder do 2 days each of school drop offs and pick ups, until I get home from work around 6. But I don't feel like it's working because by the time I get home the little one is too tired to do homework, and we have to run around to after school activities. I haven't had a cleaner since our house was started in July so that's my top of the list get sorted. I want to find someone who does it all if possible, but we don't want an au pair. So I need someone who drives, looks after children and clean, so they would start early afternoon, do a couple of hours of cleaning, then do school pick ups, bring them home, make dinner for the girls and help with homework, for 4 evenings a week. Is it possible to combine cleaner and childcare in one, without getting an au pair?

Whatsinaname2011 Sun 24-Jan-16 06:55:52

Child labour is illegal!! So no.

schmalex Sun 24-Jan-16 06:57:08

Yes, you need a nanny housekeeper.

gabbybaby Sun 24-Jan-16 07:00:36

whatsinaname - child labour? Is that because I used the word girl? I'm really sorry if I offended anyone with my loose terminology because that was absolutely not what I meant! I'm looking for an adult!
I have no idea what the going rate would be but does around £10 an hour sound ok (London borders)?

gabbybaby Sun 24-Jan-16 07:02:24

Schmalex - thanks - is that something I would need to go through an agency for? If so can you recommend any? I've never looked for anyone like this before. I've always relied on people I know for childcare, and recommendations or agencies for cleaners.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 24-Jan-16 07:02:29

I used to do similar many years ago. Think it was advertised as a "mother's help"

gabbybaby Sun 24-Jan-16 07:04:33

WTFIS - I tend to think a mother's help of additional help whilst you are at home, rather than full child caring responsibilities whilst at work...?

Yerazig Sun 24-Jan-16 08:48:51

A mothers help usually would be someone less experienced in childcare working along side a parent. They may do a little bit if light housekeep emptying the dishwasher etc but not full on clean.
What you need is a nanny housekeeper. You can advertise yourself gumtree nannyjob childcare.co.uk are the main sites childcarers go via. But yes you can go via an agency as well. You could go via the big London agencies if your on the border. Or search local nanny agencies and if smaller fees usually are cheaper then the bigger ones.

writingonthewall Sun 24-Jan-16 10:06:11

Nanny housekeeper. Probably need £10 per hour net so more when you factor in tax.

NannyR Sun 24-Jan-16 11:18:24

I know of nannies who do this sort of job, but not many. I think it might be easier to look for separate childcare and a cleaner, reason being that a nanny who is great at looking after children and has trained in childcare, might not want to do cleaning or be that good at it. Vice versa, a good, efficient cleaner might not want to, or be good at, looking after children.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 24-Jan-16 12:01:39

Sounds like you need an afternoon/after school nanny so 1 - 6/7 when you are home

You may find a nanny happy to clean - tho rare / so may be better off finding a cleaner and 3/7 nanny

Advertising and see what you get

BlackEyedPeas Sun 24-Jan-16 12:09:25

you need a lady to be a deputy mum.
plenty of nannies are happy to do that.

nannynannynannynanny Tue 26-Jan-16 09:33:06

Where abouts are you? I would be very interested in this job!

hazelnutlatte Tue 26-Jan-16 09:44:05

My cleaner does this job for another family - she calls herself a mothers help. 2 days a week she cleans for a couple of hours, then picks up kids from school, makes them their tea and look after them until their parents arrive home.
She advertised on netmums, maybe you could look on there?

MLGs Thu 04-Feb-16 07:20:28

I also thought of a mother's help. An au pair sounds like what you are actually describing to me.

Frankly I'm not sure it is a nanny housekeeper role, as the kids are at school and I'm not sure you want that much housework done (although could have misunderstood).

As well as adult women, men can do this too!

Artandco Thu 04-Feb-16 07:25:35

It would be be fa better to just get a cleaner who comes during the day whilst children at school 1-2 days. Then a nanny for after school each afternoon.

Nannies for childcare professionals who are unlikely to want to clean. Someon who's a good cleaner is unlikely to be a great nanny at the same time

Oly5 Sat 06-Feb-16 20:33:15

Nanny housekeeper! Of course they exist
An agency would help you or just advertise for one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now