Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Home childcare for one year old twins

(17 Posts)
Wingstar Tue 19-Jan-16 14:56:24

Hi all

I'm after some thoughts and advice on the best options to take for my twins. My husband works away during the week and I have recently returned to work doing three days a week. So far my parents have been helping with the childcare but now need to look at hired help.

We are considering taking on an au pair to help with the twins daily routine, including looking after one twin overnight and looking after them both when I am at work. We would offer weekends off. What would be the going rate for midlands? What incentives do we need to offer and is this the best route I take?

Also can you suggest reliable websites for searching? So many questions! Thanks guts.

Iwantakitchen Tue 19-Jan-16 14:59:38

I thought au pairs shouldn't be asked to look after children under the age of three? I could be wrong...

cookielove Tue 19-Jan-16 15:03:19

You will need a live in nanny, why may ask does only one twin need night time care?

Akire Tue 19-Jan-16 15:09:13

Start by working out how many hours per week they are working. 3 days plus 3 nights? Plus 2 other week days helping you while at home?
While parents have to do all night work then get up for work, most nanny a woulnt want work all day then possible be up all night. Then work the following day again. If you can find a nanny who was willing you may have to bump their pay up to reflect this plus I would suggest possible the grandparents having them the morning of day two, so they could get some time off.

Yes parents have to do it with no breaks but you woulnt want work 3 days straight night and days without a break in a proper job. Nannys see their role as a proper job!

mouldycheesefan Tue 19-Jan-16 15:35:48

You need a nanny or possibly two, one for days one for nights.
Au pairs are unqualified teenagers and are not supposed to do sole care of babies.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 19-Jan-16 15:44:31

I would suggest a night nanny for the nights and a daily nanny for the days, an au-pair wouldn't be able to work overnight and then work the next day and au-pairs are not recommended for babies.

Cost wise in Midlands for a daily nanny around £9-15 gross an hr depending on where in Midlands and many experience (reduce by 20-25% if nanny with own child)

Night nanny is around £15 gross an hr dependent again on nanny experience etc.

Wingstar Wed 20-Jan-16 11:10:16

Thanks for your response guys. So it's not realistic to find a nanny who could provide care day and night then? As I work three days, we could look at a part time nanny for those days and nights but at the rates you've mentioned eastmidswarwicknightnanny the costs would easily outweigh my income.

We do have nursery places reserved but are on hold, reason being my parents have offered to help until they go away for a few months and also we are not certain this is the best option for the twins.

I guess I really need to think about whether it's worth me working at all, I enjoy work as it gives me a sense of identity and I do miss the interaction with adults. It's a shame but if there is no option then I will give up my job.

mouldycheesefan Wed 20-Jan-16 11:14:47

I have twins so I do sympathise. But you cannot expect a nanny to be on duty all day and all night. How did you envisage that working in terms of a shift pattern?
How good sleepers are the twins, can you get them in a really good sleep routine so that you can manage nights by yourself and then just need nursery or nanny for the days you work?
As yes, the cost of care 24 hours per day will be high.

mouldycheesefan Wed 20-Jan-16 11:17:05

Would there be an option for your husband to change jobs so he is at home?
Realise it's not always possible, I had a friend with twins in exactly same position as you.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 20-Jan-16 15:01:13

I did 3mths of working Sunday 7pm to wed 7pm straight through. At end of each 72hrs I was shattered but I was paid very well smile

Do you work shifts? Why do you need night care?

And yes you need a nanny not ap as twins are young / if you have space for an ap maybe look at a young /just qualified nanny who lives in - salary prob more like £8 gross

NerrSnerr Wed 20-Jan-16 15:16:23

I agree with others, you'll need two nannies for this. Are there any specific reasons why one twin needs help at night because hopefully as time goes on they'll sleep better.

writingonthewall Wed 20-Jan-16 20:21:08

Generally speaking you would have a nanny for the daytime and you/DH split the nights (and are generally knackered). A night time nanny is a luxury few can afford, but obviously there may be more info (medical etc) that we don't know.

A full time nanny (day only) will basically take at least the first £70,000 of your income, when you take into account that you are paying almost all of it out of taxed income.

The other issue is that you are liable for SSP if your nanny is ill - that used to be reimbursed but isn't any more. you could have to pay it for up to 26 weeks (it's around £85/week) whilst paying for alternative childcare and holding the job open.

Wingstar Wed 20-Jan-16 20:41:41

The twins don't sleep through the night, and still need milk overnight. On the nights I've been dealing with both alone I'm left feeling very tired, Thats been fine whilst on ML but now I wouldn't have the alertness to go to work the next day if I had to do the nights alone.

Mouldycheesefan, what did your friend end up doing herself?

ceeveebee Wed 20-Jan-16 20:50:05

I went back to work 3 days a week when my twins were 10 months old. We had a live out nanny at a rate of £10 ph net (so about £12 gross). She was very experienced (although unqualified). Really would not leave any young babies with an au pair and definitely not twins

She clocked off at 7pm though and then it was over to us (well usually me as DH worked very long hours so rarely there for bedtime). Could you invest in some help to sleep train before you go back to work? We did have a night nanny twice a week between the ages of 6 weeks and 4 months and she really helped us get them into a great sleep routine. She was £200 a night.

mouldycheesefan Wed 20-Jan-16 20:55:26

Op my friend didn't go back to work, her husband had a job with a lot of international travel. She went back when they started nursery. Whilst she was off, she just had her parents looking after the twins for one day per week. She had a cleaner who would also babysit.

BUT
Her twins slept through by one. To still be having milk at night at one isn't necessary. What will help you and cut your childcare costs is getting the twins sleep trained and sleeping through. Hiring a night nanny to help you do this would be worth the investment.

It must be q killer still doing night feeds at one year old, entirely not necessary need to crack this if want to return to work

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 20-Jan-16 21:01:53

as a maternity nurse and night nanny i would really advise that you cut down/stop the milk at night

1 cold turkey- and do via pat shush method - doesnt have to be cc
2 reduce amount 2oz a night
3 give water not milk

at one they do not need it as should be on 3 full meals a day, plus am/eve milk

if they are not eating much during the day they will fill up on milk at night, and then not eat and its a vicious circle

you can either do this or get in someone like me who will within hopefully a week get them off the milk and sleeping through the night

yes it is an expense but worth it as means you and them get a good nights sleep again

born2ski Fri 29-Jan-16 19:08:09

Hi Wingstar
What area are you based in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now